Carter AFB competition 625CFM

-

Pumpkinduster

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m looking for information in this carb for the air to fuel ratio. I want to k ow what a good starting point is on the a/f turning out. My old edelbrock if I remember right was recommended 2 full turns out to start then adjust from there. Is it the same with the carters? Ive got a lot of stalling at a stop in gear when the car is warmed up. As well as stumbling when going from a low to high rpm.

I just tested with propane for any air leaks and didn’t seem to find any so now I’m looking at the carb adjustments.

Timing is 6 btdc and 35 with vacuum connected.

There's no set rhyme or reason. Use your vacuum gauge connected to a manifold vacuum source and adjust the screws so you get the highest vacuum reading on each screw.

I'd start at a turn and a half but it really doesn't matter.
Timing is 6 btdc and 35 with vacuum connected.
In almost all case, initial timing is set with the vaccum advance disconnected and the vacuum source plugged. Golf tee in the hose is convenient.
The rpm at which timing is set is also important. It could be as low as 550 or as high as 900 on (a few) smogged engines around 1971.

Do that first.
Then tweak the idle mixes for strongest vacuum in highest rpm.
Then working toward lean go 1/8 turn at a time.
As soon as rpm or vac drops, turn the screw 1/4 turn richer.

That should be close to the strongest mixture in gear. In gear is what is important.
With an automatic you can out your foot on the brake and shift into gear ands see the rpm and vacuum drop. The least drop is the strongest mixture and timing,

Last edited:
-
Back