Carter AVS expert info needed

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys:
I'm in the middle of overhauling a '68 AVS, and I discovered a couple problems. First it appears to have the wrong primary jets in it, in this case regular AFB style 386 jets, where this carb should have the tall 398 primary jets for use with the 3-stage rods.

What's interesting is that the rear jets appear to be the correct 489 jets, but they are tall as well. I've read conflicting info about whether tall jets should be in the front or rear, so my question is, which answer is the RIGHT answer?

Second issue is that the pump side primary rod got bent at some point and is now almost worn in two. I know about converting to AFB stuff but right now that is a last resort. This is a Carter 4401S BTW. Thanks.

Is this a resto and NEEDS to be done that way?

AVS carbs have the taller jets.

So it takes tall jets both on the primaries and secondaries?

Yes it's a restoration and has to be done correctly.

Hey guys:
I'm in the middle of overhauling a '68 AVS, and I discovered a couple problems. First it appears to have the wrong primary jets in it, in this case regular AFB style 386 jets, where this carb should have the tall 398 primary jets for use with the 3-stage rods.

What's interesting is that the rear jets appear to be the correct 489 jets, but they are tall as well. I've read conflicting info about whether tall jets should be in the front or rear, so my question is, which answer is the RIGHT answer?

Second issue is that the pump side primary rod got bent at some point and is now almost worn in two. I know about converting to AFB stuff but right now that is a last resort. This is a Carter 4401S BTW. Thanks.

4401s is a 68 383 High Performance carb. should run great on a performance build the way it came. The secondary are the short standard jets.

-
Back