Carter AVS

-

racingsnake440

Reaction score
I'm running a Carter AVS from a 68 440 on my 360. It runs pretty well but seems a bit rich (no surprise huh?) anyway, a couple of questions

what cfm is the carb?
will any of the Edelbrock jet and metering rod kits work?
any suggestions for a baseline jet/rod set up - the 360 is a basically stock 76 motor with a Weiand dual plane manifold, blocked heat risers and a dual exhaust

thanks

I agree, those AVS carbs were nice. If memory serves me correct, they were 625 or 650 CFM. Not sure if the jets/metering rods from the new avs will work. Probably have to contact Edelbrock. Back in the day we would buy a Carter Strip Kit. They had a good assortment of jetsn and metering rods. You might try Ebay for something like that. I just sold one a couple of months ago. good luck.

don

racingsnake440 said:
I'm running a Carter AVS from a 68 440 on my 360. It runs pretty well but seems a bit rich (no surprise huh?) anyway, a couple of questions

what cfm is the carb?
will any of the Edelbrock jet and metering rod kits work?
any suggestions for a baseline jet/rod set up - the 360 is a basically stock 76 motor with a Weiand dual plane manifold, blocked heat risers and a dual exhaust

thanks
The size carb depends on 2 things. 1, if it was an HP 440, it is more likely it's a 750 model. 2, based more on actual size of the butterflys, will tell you the size of the carb. Off hand, my grey matter is not releasing the info to me right now, but can check on it later when you post the size.
The small AVS as per the old Carter tech line was 630 cfm, as told to me by a tech. Reguardless.........

Edelbrocks tuning kits will work. BUT, there is 1 cave eat you must be aware of. The AVS has longer 3 step metering rods and a cover thats taller. What you'll need to do inordrr to tune it is get a set of rod covers from Edelbrock. Otherwise, the shorter AFB rod will come out of the jet and cause a way rich condition. But once you get the covers from Edelbrock, or flatten the OE covers with a hammer, jk, you can use the shorter AFB rods.

Carb size dependent, you can copy what Edelbrock uses in there Electric choke AFB's to start.

Also, as a side note, you can add an electric choke by removing the vacuum pull off and installing an Edel. electric choke by drilling and tapping the mounting boss's.
I included 2 pictures to show you. Even though one of the mounting holes I screwed up on, it works just fine. The parts used on this AVS are from a parts Edelbrock carb.

101_0431 (2).JPG

101_0433.JPG

-
Back