Carter bbd

-
OMG you did not just ask that. :rofl:
It doesn't matter . Imagine I have this carb sitting on my kitchen table . I want a carb with same bolt pattern as carter bbd but 1" shorter . Or if one even exists lol . No intake no adapters no air filter Housing . Come on people . If there isn't one that's cool but why I'm asking.

My hope for asking this question to do any of you know who know so much would say . Hey yes most carter bbd are 5" tall ( which answers my first question ) and then yes most of them are the same but in 1966 or 1988 they made one that is 3.5" tall or something. Or answer " no , not that we know of "

Perfect thank you. I see These are considered high top yes ? Does that mean there is a such thing as a low top ? If there is would it be same bolt pattern ?

There is a Low Top and a High Top BBD 2 bbl.
The actual carbs look the same to me, same overall height.

The difference is High Top has the Higher Fuel Bowl extension on top.
Low top is level with the top of the fuel bowl and vents out the top of it.

As pictured here:

1673363888432.png

The 2 carbs on the right are the Low Top BBDs.

You learn something new everyday.

There is a Low Top and a High Top BBD 2 bbl.
The actual carbs look the same to me, same overall height.

The difference is High Top has the Higher Fuel Bowl extension on top.
Low top is level with the top of the fuel bowl and vents out the top of it.

As pictured here:

View attachment 1716033148

The 2 carbs on the right are the Low Top BBDs.

You learn something new everyday.
I see I see . Great info thank you .

Johnny,

You know the term you get more flys with honey. That's what's happening here.

You have 12 posts, rather than answering a simple question.

In your post 4 you answered part of your own question
Screenshot_20230110-082051.png

It looks like only a BBD and a Rochester 2GC 2 Barrel small bore carb fit directly on the flange.​

Perhaps your question could have been...

Does anyone know how tall a Rochester 2GC 2 Barrel carb is, from the bottom of the base flange to to top of the air horn and to the top of the air cleaner bolt (air cleaner bolt probably is variable by application)

For the record... I would have had the photo I posted in post 25 to you in post 4 had you not gotten all pissy.

Was trying to figure why you were having trouble with hood clearance? You were saying you are doing a custom setup for a friend, maybe like putting a BBD on a Chrysler Mini Van or a VW Bug and can't shut the hood cause it's too tall.

Here is a shorter Progressive Carb 32/64 that they used on some of the earlier Chrysler 2.2 mini vans.

We did the same with the 2 bbl BBDs on performance VW Dune Buggies, then came across with the Progress 32/36 as a much better setup. Like the secondary barrel on the progressives, acts like kicking in the secondaries on a 4 bbl.

Progressive Height.jpg

Electric choke is nice too. Here is an ebay item number if you want to look some more at the progressives:

Ebay # 255 871 836 778

Progress Bolt Pattern.jpg

Progressive 1.jpg

Johnny,

You know the term you get more flys with honey. That's what's happening here.

You have 12 posts, rather than answering a simple question.

In your post 4 you answered part of your own question
View attachment 1716033152

It looks like only a BBD and a Rochester 2GC 2 Barrel small bore carb fit directly on the flange.​

Perhaps your question could have been...

Does anyone know how tall a Rochester 2GC 2 Barrel carb is, from the bottom of the base flange to to top of the air horn and to the top of the air cleaner bolt (air cleaner bolt probably is variable by application)

For the record... I would have had the photo I posted in post 25 to you in post 4 had you not gotten all pissy.
No. I already know what bolt pattern was im was wondering if anything else fit it that was lower profile. Or any other options of the bbd were shorter in some years than other. Also this image / graphic isn't end all be all . Holley told me in a email/ swore to me that their ford single barrel efi carb would fit a slant six pattern . So o asked here what thr pattern was for slant 6 single barrel in past and got the run around of none answers .

Are BBD's a thing now...? I have one laying around for years... figured it was junk...I always did a cam and 600 Holley on a smogger 318 with headers.

Are BBD's a thing now...? I have one laying around for years... figured it was junk...I always did a cam and 600 Holley on a smogger 318 with headers.
Oh they're junk but cheap and easy and only thing that can bolt direct to these old manifolds to get old cars running . ( unless you replace intakes and or use an adapter and that raises the total height ) that depending on the car you can't close the hood . Even with no air filter. Hence problem I'm having .

Oh they're junk but cheap and easy and only thing that can bolt direct to these old manifolds to get old cars running . ( unless you replace intakes and or use an adapter and that raises the total height ) that depending on the car you can't close the hood . Even with no air filter. Hence problem I'm having .

We still don't know what the car is or the engine layout of the "Hence you are having problems with".

Pictures needed, if you want help.

If not, have fun experimenting with your project.

I've leaned what I needed . Carter bbd are 5" tall . & no one knows of anything that uses same bolt Pattern but is shorter profile . That's all I needed. The more details y'all ask for sends most you down even deeper holes than you already are and goes off on even more tangents or info or opinions that I don't need or want. I'm going to ask another question in the transmission section and people going to loose it

I've leaned what I needed . Carter bbd are 5" tall . & no one knows of anything that uses same bolt Pattern but is shorter profile . That's all I needed. The more details y'all ask for sends most you down even deeper holes than you already are and goes off on even more tangents or info or opinions that I don't need or want. I'm going to ask another question in the transmission section and people going to loose it
Sounds like it's gonna need this '65 Ball&Trunnion 3-Speed Manual that's in my shed, I'll even throw in a Knockoff Chinese BBD in the Deal!

Was trying to figure why you were having trouble with hood clearance? You were saying you are doing a custom setup for a friend, maybe like putting a BBD on a Chrysler Mini Van or a VW Bug and can't shut the hood cause it's too tall.

Here is a shorter Progressive Carb 32/64 that they used on some of the earlier Chrysler 2.2 mini vans.

We did the same with the 2 bbl BBDs on performance VW Dune Buggies, then came across with the Progress 32/36 as a much better setup. Like the secondary barrel on the progressives, acts like kicking in the secondaries on a 4 bbl.

View attachment 1716033161

Electric choke is nice too. Here is an ebay item number if you want to look some more at the progressives:

Ebay # 255 871 836 778

View attachment 1716033162

View attachment 1716033163
I just saw this one come up . I like this it's like shorter but wonder how much shorter , I'm going to look at these . The red measurement doesn't give the other side I wonder if it's the same .

View attachment 1716033161

Ebay # 255 871 836 778

View attachment 1716033162

View attachment 1716033163
The eBay number you listed isn't working but I'm trying to find this .

ThreadDirection (1).jpg

I just saw this one come up . I like this it's like shorter but wonder how much shorter , I'm going to look at these . The red measurement doesn't give the other side I wonder if it's the same .

Progressive bolt pattern is a 1/2" wider than the bbd bolt pattern so you need to find, alter, or make an adapter.

BBD pattern is 3 1/4" wide.
Progressive pattern is 3 3/4" wide, or there abouts.

Here is an adapter style: this is the fun part.

1673388615932.jpeg

Make, buy or alter, it's your call.

We have made them like this in the past where there is more room. Worked Great.

20230110_100350.jpg

20230110_100322.jpg

BBD intake pattern below

20230110_101032.jpg

What are they Chinese knock off BBDs? I bought a Chinese knock off carb for my 6 HP Tecumseh snow blower :)

Type the Ebay item number in without the spaces:

Progressive bolt pattern is a 1/2" wider than the bbd bolt pattern so you need to find, alter, or make an adapter.

BBD pattern is 3 1/4" wide.
Progressive pattern is 3 3/4" wide, or there abouts.

Here is an adapter style: this is the fun part.

View attachment 1716033300

Make, buy or alter, it's your call.

We have made them like this in the past where there is more room. Worked Great.

View attachment 1716033297

View attachment 1716033299

BBD intake pattern below

View attachment 1716033298
That is lowest profile adapter I've seen . But any rise is too much rise is our problem . Oh well . I like this other carb option here though . Or are you saying this eBay carb pattern is not the same ?

Copy and Paste it.

View attachment 1716033303

I know you don't want any out of the box suggestions...

Get a Weber side draft carb, make a 90deg adapter to fit the BBD manifold and the Weber flange. A bit pricy for the carb but I'm sure with your fabrication skills you can make an adapter that will set the carb lower than you need.

It could face forwards or backwards or to either side

Plus it would look rad!

Screenshot_20230111-220408.png

yeah that point has been made and i provided links

but none of us could answer both parts of the question, same pattern and how tall, hence the OPs frustration....

no further detail given, presumably to avoid discussion or to get a quick answer, but that actually promoted dicussion rather than supressed it.... as you would excpect on a messageboard designed to promote discussion.

Just tell me the answer is not going to work........if you want me to get off my arse to walk across the yard and measure stuff.

3 carbs fit
none of us have all 3 so none of us can say which is the lowest

and seemingly that is our fault

:)

the phrase "beggars can't be choosers" springs to mind

Dave

Last edited:
-
Back