carter bbs adjustment?

-

65slant

Reaction score
Hello
i have a 65 dart with a 64 model carter carb (fresh rebuild on it) i just got the choke figured out so now it idles but when you give it gas it dies, another question whats the deal with the exhaust valve in the exhaust manifold does it affect anything if its frozen? (power, mpg, idle) anything like that? thanks guys you have been great, btw i have a 2000 mile road trip at the end of july want to make sure the car is in tip top shape; :D

The valve in the exhaust manifold controls manifold heat. It has a spring that is supposed to close the valve (turn clockwise) when it's cold which puts more heat in the manifolds (intake and exhaust) and the carb, and opens the valve (turn counter clockwise) when warm for normal operation. If the valve sticks closed you will cook your carb and your gas will boil (vapor lock, heat soak, etc.). Make sure the valve turns freely and the spring is operating the valve as described above.

I also have a Carter BBS Carb and am having heat soak issues. At least for now I wired my exhaust valve in the open position to reduce heat. It has not effected cold start up at all for me but that may change in winter time :cheese:.

ok ill make sure its moving free, it sounds like its the heart of my issues for the bogging and such, as well, thank you. ill let ya know how it goes

Bog off idle could be accelerator pump set up, adjustment too. You should see a squirt from that pump instantly as the accelerator moves off idle.

-
Back