Carter Carb driving me crazy

-

Back in Time

Reaction score
I'll start out by saying I have rebuilt a lot of carbs in my day but this one has me totally stumped.I rebuilt the carter 1 barrel on my 64 slant six and have a problem that's driving me nuts. The car starts and idles perfect but if you even begin the crack the throttle it dies. Even if I adjust the idle screw to too fast of a idle it will not run. Runs good at around 600 RPM but not after that.It's been a while...what the Hell am I missing.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

All I can think of at first:
1) Check the idle air bleed at the top of the venturi.
2) Wiggle the throttle shaft to see if the shaft bushings are worn.

Something obstructing the inlet. If you pull the top is the bowl full? Was this carb on the car and running before? Piece of debris in the main jet?

Bowl is full of fuel..throttle shaft is good, main jet is clean..Thanks guys...keep ideas coming and I will keep messing with it. Was running but was running way rich.

Is the car warmed up and the choke open when this happens? If the engine is still cold, it could be just not enough choke.....

Have you set the timing to take that out of the picture?

Can you make the engine idle rough by slowly closing the idle mixture screw? If its seat is good, you should be able to close the idle mixture screw by 1/4 to 1/2 turn and the engine idle will get rough and then rougher.

How many turns off of fully seated is the idle mixture screw when this is idling good?

I was suggesting the idle air bleed because the conditions you describe (slowly going off of throttle with the car sitting still, i.e. no load) only involves the idle circuit; going to a higher RPM a bit opens up the progressive circuit, which is part of the idle circuit. If the air bleed is not right, then the mixture that gets fed to the progressive slot/hole is wrong.

Perhaps some useful info here: http://www.carburetor-parts.com/Carter-BBS_ep_303.html

And here: http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33102&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

No time today but watching the video in the one link I think showed me where I went wrong.Will see in the morning when I take it apart again.Thanks so much ...I feel I'm on the right track now.

Just an update on my carb deal. I hate to admit but most of the problem was a piss poor job cleaning the passages and blowing it out with air. This time I pulled all the soft plugs in the body I could get out and cleaned and blew it out real good then eopxyed the plugs back in. The only other thing I had to do was stretch the accelerator pump spring a little.That made it much more responsive. I sometimes wonder if I should have bought something already done so I could enjoy it. Thanks to all especially nm9stheham who went to a lot of trouble to provide links that were invaluable. Time to move on to the next part of the project.:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

-
Back