Case Stampings

-

71Duster

Reaction score
What can you guys tell me about an 833 with the following stamps.

Case 99129, Tailshaft C99126, Sidecover C99386,
retainer 094796. serial nuber on case 2B456493.
Ball and detent style sidecover, 23 Spline

Looking to buy it for a 727 to 4 speed swap in my 71 340 Duster. Also whats a decent price?

The seller gave me he following info

"Internally the syncros show minimal wear with good gap between the synchro and cone in all gears. All dogs on all the gears are excellent (transmission will not slip out of gear). Shift forks show minimal wear
Countershaft shim is well within specification, there is one small chip on the outside edge of
the countershaft 4th gear. This is of no concern since it is not on the leading edge (someone missed a shift). Front and rear bearings show no wear, all bolt holes including transmission mounts are good, no helicoils. Front bearing retainer shows no wear. The front of the case has letters ACE stamped in it"

Your retainer # is "C94796" not 094796.
Your taillshaft is correct for an A body, and it's a '72 trans.
A fair price...disassembled...$150., assembled and usable $350., rebuilt, bolt in with warranty $850., if it looks like this on the outside View attachment 221407

My .02, hope this helps.

It's assembled and useable is the sellers claim. It's clean and looks pretty from what the pictures show but no shifter or rods.

He's off on price the best he will do is $700. Granted this is in Alberta and I don't see many 4 speeds for sale but shipping aside I can buy a reman from Brewers for $900

Will the seller stand behind the trans and his CLAIM ? to me all used parts are CORES and priced as such.

I found another 4 speed with a bell and pedals but no claim on internals asking @700

At the swap meet I saw two more, one with a bell and a rough shifter that claimed rebuilt for 800 and another with a scattershield and no shifter nice and clean claimed never rebuilt at $1200. Seems like these things are gold up here

I found another 4 speed with a bell and pedals but no claim on internals asking @700

At the swap meet I saw two more, one with a bell and a rough shifter that claimed rebuilt for 800 and another with a scattershield and no shifter nice and clean claimed never rebuilt at $1200. Seems like these things are gold up here

Yes they are , that's too bad . Good luck in your search...

2B456493 -- This means that the trans was originally installed in a 1972 model year vehicle built at the Hamtramck, MI assembly plant and the sequence number is 456493.

A-bodies and E-bodies were built at Hamtramck for 72. If the trans has a short tailshaft it's out of an A-body. Only 340 cars got the 4-speed so it was a Demon 340 or a Duster 340. No way to tell. The sequence number shows that the car was built fairly late in the model year -- mid-May of 1972.

As far as price, no idea.

to muddy the waters, the ext housing is a 69 to 71 number, a 71 and up is 13212
detent cover is pre 71. so looks like it is a mix of parts, suggesting it is rebuilt

-
Back