Caught a shoplifter today !

-

jimmer

Reaction score
So while getting steaks for dinner on the way home from the mopar show ,
I see a suspicious looking couple carrying a basket in the store
As I round the corner I see them head for the door .
I yell stop them they are stealing .
Nobody does anything , so I run after them stop them and make them drop the basket ,
They take off in a car , I bring the basket back to the store along with the steaks in my hand .
They had food in the basket and I actually felt bad for them even though they made a choice to be where there at .

This is not the first ones I caught I just did not chase the others .
I think because I have a cold and did not feel well combined with the others I've seen in the past month I had enough !!!

Thanks for standing up for what's right.
Now pray they have bad habits they can drop, in order to pay for food properly.

It's hard for us old farts with work ethic to imagine how anyone could steal, we'd rather starve than steal, but we can't know the troubles of others.

Though I commend your action, it was probably not a good idea. Store owners would rather them steal it, rather than face legal charges of getting hurt in the chase,embarrassed,or making them look bad to others. After all according to the liberal leftest, "They were just stealing food to feed their family!" What is wrong with that? Ok maybe I got a little carried away here.

I'm sure I should have let them go , but I'm sick of it we that work and pay for our own ways are paying theirs aswell
On top of having to pay more for insurance and stores have to account for theft in the prices we pay for our goods .

Better to be alert in public and willing to act than to be an apathetic bystander. Thank you. And maybe what you did will reform the shoplifters.

I used to do loss prevention in my younger years. The two most stolen items are meat and cheese and it's not for eating.

Cheese is generally sold through the back doors of pizza places. Cheese is a major cost for them so a massive block of cheese for 50% of the normal cost is good. They don't ask questions.

Meat is generally sold with the story of, "my freeze just kicked the bucket and I need to get it emptied. Want to buy $200 worth of steaks for $75?".

Here in Canada luckily we don't have to worry about getting sued all that much compared to the US. But like one member said, unless they had loss prevention, the store would most likely prefer to let them leave without problem. You are lucky though they only wanted to run. One time I was working a manager yelled at me as a guy was leaving the store that he had stolen something. I go running after him only for him to turn halfway through the parking lot and brandish the large hunting knife he had stolen. That was a little hairy. After arresting him we found another 5 hunting knives on him that he had stolen. Another time I ran after a woman who was trying to steal meat only to have to dodge being run over by her husband waiting outside in the car.

I caught a police officer stealing food from the convient store that I worked at (20) in 1996.
We were located across from the projects, a bar, cady corner from my college, on two roads leading out of town.

Theft was a problem & you were responsible for your shift.

I reported him & was beaten by that police officer at work, behind the counter, while he was in uniform later on. I have never been arrested. Descrestion (sp?) is sometimes better than valor.

Theifs.. no use for them. Today some food....tomorrow perhaps your car? While back I stopped in an Ace Hardware store to grab some hardware. Had my hands fill, put the stuff down on the counter and picked up a Hershey bar...without thinking stuffed it in my pocket. Cashier didn't catch it. Got several blocks away before I realized what I had done. Turned around. Walked in, asked to speak to the manager. I explained what I had done, took my wallet out to pay for it...was told not to worry about it. The fact that I had went back to "make it right" was good enough for her....she refused to have me pay for it.

People who steal deserve to have their hands cut off. They steal because they are too lazy and spoiled to do it the right way. They steal because they are used to being bailed out, they're used to getting government checks, free phones, free food, free housing, etc. They have decided that since everything else is free to them, they deserve to live for free.

I know some people need a hand once in a while, but these users are way beyond that. They steal all day in one way or another. They steal from you and they steal from me, just look at your paycheck and you'll agree.

You can thank the liberal agenda for these problems. A helping hand 60 years ago turned into a lifetime of bailouts and a failure of the system as a whole.

I digress.

Theifs.. no use for them. Today some food....tomorrow perhaps your car? While back I stopped in an Ace Hardware store to grab some hardware. Had my hands fill, put the stuff down on the counter and picked up a Hershey bar...without thinking stuffed it in my pocket. Cashier didn't catch it. Got several blocks away before I realized what I had done. Turned around. Walked in, asked to speak to the manager. I explained what I had done, took my wallet out to pay for it...was told not to worry about it. The fact that I had went back to "make it right" was good enough for her....she refused to have me pay for it.

I did the same thing, only with a magazine. Had it rolled up while my buddy was getting a bunch of stuff. We got to talking with the cashier and I walked out when he was done. I went right back in and paid for it. I was about 20-21 years old then.

Though I commend your action, it was probably not a good idea. Store owners would rather them steal it, rather than face legal charges of getting hurt in the chase,embarrassed,or making them look bad to others. After all according to the liberal leftest, "They were just stealing food to feed their family!" What is wrong with that? Ok maybe I got a little carried away here.
No you hit the nail on the head.

It's getting worse. Where I work we see it everyday. One Wal Mart Supercenter here is no longer open 24 hours due to too much theft during the night.

-
Back