CDL questions?

-
Question? I dont own a big truck to take the test in nor do i have an employer at this time. My intent is to work for a company in Texas after i get my credintials. No over the road stuff but i do need to have the hazmat. I'll be pumping fuel and hauling fire retardant(fertilizer) on the tarmac. Whats the method for getting a truck to use. How did you guys do it? Any ideas?
Small Block

There should be testing facilities in your area that have a truck, there are here. You will have to pay extra for it more than likely, as you would here.

If you have already approached this company for employment, talk to them they "might" help out with a truck.

Based on what I have heard, it could take up to 6 weeks on the background check. Remember your dealing with a government entity.

So right Bad. The company is in another state. I'll take tests tomorrow and drive to Springfield for the finger printing Thursday. It does take 2 to 6 weeks to get the results on the Security stuff. I found someone that will school me on the pre trip. I'll make it worth his while. He works for a guy that has a day cab and short flatbed that we can use. Thanks for the info guys.
Small Block

Question? I dont own a big truck to take the test in nor do i have an employer at this time. My intent is to work for a company in Texas after i get my credintials. No over the road stuff but i do need to have the hazmat. I'll be pumping fuel and hauling fire retardant(fertilizer) on the tarmac. Whats the method for getting a truck to use. How did you guys do it? Any ideas?
Small Block

paid to go to school, otherwise I never would have been able to get a truck to take the test in, let alone practice parallel parking, alley dock, etc,

Thats the hardest part of it all. Finding some one who will let you use there truck to learn with. Next up is getting that first job. Most will not hire you till you have two years expereince. Even if you have your own truck it is hard the first few years due to not being able to get any one to insure you and when you do $$$$$$$$.

Already have the job offer upon my getting the credentials. No over the road stuff. Driving will take place on an airport tarmac fueling and loading fire retardant(fertilizer).
Small Block

So right Bad. The company is in another state. I'll take tests tomorrow and drive to Springfield for the finger printing Thursday. It does take 2 to 6 weeks to get the results on the Security stuff. I found someone that will school me on the pre trip. I'll make it worth his while. He works for a guy that has a day cab and short flatbed that we can use. Thanks for the info guys.
Small Block

Make sure you have the book with you for the pre trip, and follow it to the letter.

thats why i said try to find a truck driven school everything you need it there...all you have to do is take your papers to dmv and take your pic after you have passed the school test..here in nc the school gives you 4 tries and then you have to pay again.....400.00 mike

i have my own dump truck with a class a but i only need class b for my truck..thanks mike

Mike, we use to have a school here and it cost $2500 for a 4 week course and yes you could take the test in class and take the results down and get your ticket. $400 would be a steal imo. Gotta hit the books. Thanks guys. Oh, how about the physical? I think i have to have one of those also.
Small Block

Good news. I passed all 5 written tests and now have a permit. Tomorrow the security check complete with finger prints and Monday the DOT physical. May do the driving test this next week.
Small Block

Congrats dude. Like there was any doubt.

This is getting interesting. Got the truck to use and train in. Been doing good. Of course i need a DOT physical. I go down to the testing place and do some of it but then i get to the eye portion and with one eye they throw the brakes on. Wont complete the physical without a medical exemption from the feds. Takes 3 to 6 months. Hog wash. I go to an eye doctor and he gives me a perifial vision test which states i have 150 deg of vision. All that is needed is 85. I take that to my doctor and he issues me a DOT card. Physical done. All i need now in the pre trip, air brake test and the driving skills test. Been driving the loaner rig and all looks good. Driving test scheduled for tuesday of next week. On the vision portion there were people on the phone to Jeff City getting this crap straight. Ya gotta love our government.
Small Block

Just a few more Road Block to run thru and you are there.
TXDart

Brand new to forum. Been Driving for many years, many different trucks.
These guys are so right with PRE TRIP-PRE TRIP-PRE TRIP. Know your brakes pressures and how to preform a proper brake test. As a trainer, when your walking up to your rig say to tester/inspector when your about 50 feet away...I am taking a general over view, I see NO noticable fluid leaks and no noticable suspension leans, now I will start my inspection!
Remember to touch!!!! every lug nut. Mention things like tread depths,.. Use this statement a lot.. THE BLANK IS PROPERLY MOUNTED AND SECURE!!!!!!!!! If it a moving part..test it. A lighted part..light it. One silly thing is Fire EX.. mention the full charge, and DONT FORGET TO MENTION SAFETY PIN IS IN PLACE.
GOOD LUCK and God Bless
Frank Menicola

Frank, every time i drive the truck on my practice runs i do a pre trip by the sheet and memory. My payed instructor seems to think i've got it down. My worst habit is not shutting off my turn signal after a turn. I'm use to self canceling signals. Oh well i'll get it. Thanks guys.
Small Block

My worst habit is not shutting off my turn signal after a turn. I'm use to self canceling signals. Oh well I'll get it. Thanks guys.
Small Block

LMAO, I do it too, of coarse I'm over 50 so my kids say I'm OK doin that cause I'm old LOL. I noticed a couple of times this week I was goin in a straight line with no intention of turning and look down only to see it on.

LMAO, I do it too, of coarse I'm over 50 so my kids say I'm OK doin that cause I'm old LOL. I noticed a couple of times this week I was goin in a straight line with no intention of turning and look down only to see it on.

same here, worst part is the plastic piece on my barracuda is broken so they dont self cancel either, and all these years of riding motorcycles with out self canceling turn signals, you would think I could remember, oh well if you see someone running down the road with his signal on wave hello, it's probably little old absent minded me

same here, worst part is the plastic piece on my barracuda is broken so they dont self cancel either, and all these years of riding motorcycles with out self canceling turn signals, you would think I could remember, oh well if you see someone running down the road with his signal on wave hello, it's probably little old absent minded me

Some turns that you signal for are not sharp enough to cancel the directional signals. My trucks have a chime that sounds if the turn signal has been on for a preset length of time. My kids call it a "Geezer Alarm", lol

Some turns that you signal for are not sharp enough to cancel the directional signals. My trucks have a chime that sounds if the turn signal has been on for a preset length of time. My kids call it a "Geezer Alarm", lol

My pickup has the "geezer alarm", but my 18 wheeler does not.

-
Back