Celebrating diversity in styles of build

-

LocuMob

Fluid Technician
Reaction score
I just wanted to thank everyone on this site for building what you want, and for letting us all build what we want without being ripped for doing something out of the box. I've been on another site that seems to be all about having everything stock, or as close as possible. And heaven forbid you have any other ideas. I don't have anything that will remain stock, not that I don't appreciate and like it. I'm pretty sure there's not too many people upset that I want my 1967 270 /6 904 7 & 1/4 turned into some sort of monster. Or my Polara that's strayed far enough away, or my pickup. I admire people that stick to that dedication, it's just not what I have in mind for my vehicles. I love out of the box ideas, and as long as not cheap, crude or crappily done, it's a refreshing change to a sometimes boring scene. I think it keeps the hobby going. I'm sure vanilla isn't everyone's favorite flavor, and we all differ in tastes in cars and styles too. So keep doing whatever it is to your ride, and thanks again for letting us all do what we want and still coexist fairly peacefully on this site. Talk to you on the flipside.

Scott

There are a lot of vocal purist's here also but at least there are also many who are car guys plain and simple and like out of the box.

What do you mean your car is not numbers matching right down to the crappy looking Honeydew Yellow paint? j/k My car is far from stock and that's the way I like it. Numbers don't mean much to me.

Jack

I have been on some of those forums.
I did a complete documentation of the frame off build 48 Willys I done.
I deviated from stock on 3 items:
3" lift kit
33" swamper bogger tires
electric winch.
There was alot of comments until I added the aftermarket parts, and then hardly any.

My duster is modded but the upgrades are for performance, interior and exterior look factory except for the auto meter gauges, the fun stuff is under the hood.

My corvette I am taking anything that is not stock off, it is a low production, highly option numbers matching car, I will enjoy it the way it came off the production line.

Do what you want, its your car and money.

I think our cars are all as unique as our own personalities and backgrounds. You wont like everyone just like you wont like everyone's taste in cars. But if everyone were the same then it wouldn't be right.

I personally like as close to stock as possible, but its not because I am thinking re-sale value (im a hoarder, I never sell) but I have the belief that nothing fits better than stock parts. But that's me and it should not stop the next guy from chroming this and that and viper this and that.....as long as its not my car why would I care. LOL

BTW hardly any of my cars are numbers matching ....who cares LOL

...long as they run who gives a flyin brown turd? my truck is matching numbers, sadly tho, I replaced frame parts and the fuel line...... matching numbers don't mean **** to me, I got a 383, 2 barrel, would LOVE to do a 4 barrel, or something but. not needed or well if I can find something for a good price....

I paid, 12 hundred, RUNNING last June 2013 for my truck, turn key unit, wasn't till the winter that I found it needed some work, and why its not an everyday driver. FULL TIME 4 wheeler in the winter time..... Granted I mentioned it was matching number, but its not something I'll EVER sell this truck, is probably going to be with me, or leave me in one of 2 ways, I die, or it can't be repaired.....Wife got the car, (mine when needed) but mine is the truck, she couldn't drive it if she wanted too! Its standard.....And she refuses to learn it as it really is to big for her....

I prefer modification for style & performance. Unwanted objections, ignored & left at the door for most. (!for my thoughts). Prefer mild customs over straight O.E.M muscle. It's your passion & outlet,make it yours.

As numbers matching goes I do appreciate a numbers matching well documented restoration or a survivor for that matter. I also like the modified and IMPROVED. If you do what you want to it, and do it well, well that is an IMPROVEMENT. My Dart is no where close to stock, not period correct engine, not original engine size, transmission, or rearend, wrong year front seat, custom dash, heater deleted, radio deleted. But know something, it is what gets the attention, People that know me will tell ya, There is only one Killer, and only one true Green Lizard.

As numbers matching goes I do appreciate a numbers matching well documented restoration or a survivor for that matter.

I do to. My friend has a beautiful 71 GTX 440+6 4 speed that is over the top clean. No one has been in the back seat since he's had it. But for that kind of money I'd rather have some engine and chassis upgrades for my fleet. But in the same breath, those cars are great reference tools for the anyone needing specific information about a car.

I love all Mopars, but I really like the wide ranges of stuff built/being built that I see on here. I don't really care what other people think, I didn't get my cars to impress anyone, I got them for me. To enjoy, to learn, to bleed, to curse, and preserver. They are an expression of ourselves, I'm a little ragged and so are my cars, but that's fine to me and I don't worry about it.

I love seeing old cars of all makes out on the road and always show some appreciation to the drivers if possible. They are all cool no matter what the flavor. I have to give it up for the people that have a car that's not necessarily in demand, later year darts, f bodies, magnums, etc.

What a great write up :coffee2:
I am sure there is a few members that smirk or giggle at my /6 Valiant.
From my Jeep Air Breather I custom fit for my use to my wheel selection.
But many do enjoy creative and helpful modes we do.

The old saying holds true :D I Did It My Way :cheers:

I'll leave the purist comment alone, lol.

I like hotrodding, I like seeing peoples builds, I like seeing the work, the effort and the creativity. What I would never do personally is use another brand engine, rear etc in my build as I prefer to keep them all Mopar. But because I say that I get labeled a purist, that couldn't be further from the truth, it's just a personal preference.

We have had these threads before, and it's like anything else, only some opinions are correct or acceptable.

Basically it boils down to, "your car your money".

I'll leave the purist comment alone, lol.

I like hotrodding, I like seeing peoples builds, I like seeing the work, the effort and the creativity. What I would never do personally is use another brand engine, rear etc in my build as I prefer to keep them all Mopar. But because I say that I get labeled a purist, that couldn't be further from the truth, it's just a personal preference.

We have had these threads before, and it's like anything else, only some opinions are correct or acceptable.

Basically it boils down to, "your car your money".

I guess, I'm the "purist," too, as I won't mix and match with a lot of parts. At the same time, there are those I will. The hot ticket for inline Fords is to use inline Chevy rockers. Longer ratio, on the cheap. Would I put an inline Chevy under the hood of my Ford? Nope.

But do I get upset when I see someone putting a small block Chevy in an A-body? Not really, simply because it doesn't matter a hill of beans in the scheme of things in my life what someone else does with his car. Not my car, not my money, not my build.

On the other hand, if a I walk through a car show and see the ever ubiquitous small block Chevy sitting down between the fenders in yet another Ford hot rod, it doesn't catch my eye as it's been done before. Over and over and over and over again. What does amaze me on those cars is the fact the owners will spend an absolute mint of body and paint, suspensions, chroming, interior, and then go the cheapest route on power. But, again, it's not my car, so it's not my call.

yep i remember in the late 60s my friends had the Road Runners, 6-pak ect. and a lot of them had things done that was not easy to see. like the rear springs reset, and adjusted. change the front torsion bars to a lighter rating. and adjusting trans linkage.

I go mostly for function and reliability as I get to drive a classic mopar to all my appointments for work and everything else.
It's my baby, my work vehicle, grocery getter and long trip car I can count on.
It is close to stock on the outside besides wheels and dark tint windows, and the inside in heavily modified.
BMW seats, wireless internet and music, and custom dash accesories.
Oversized cooling for the AZ desert, and automatic electric cooling.

Industrial functional theme, with updated electronics where they are needed.

I am ok with pretty much anything anyone wants to do with thier car, especially since it's not my car. :)

Robert,Bruce I would not see either of you as a purist I spoke of. I too like the idea of Mopar in a Mopar and Ford/Chevy in a Ford/Chevy. I have tried for years to get my BIL take the 350 chevy out of his 33 Plymouth and put at least a 318 in it.

I for one like them all! I have just as much appreciation for a numbers matching car as one that as all hot rod. What I DON'T like is when someone tries to pass off a car as numbers matching that isn't.

Robert,Bruce I would not see either of you as a purist I spoke of. I too like the idea of Mopar in a Mopar and Ford/Chevy in a Ford/Chevy. I have tried for years to get my BIL take the 350 chevy out of his 33 Plymouth and put at least a 318 in it.

I have one car in the stable that I'm an absolute purist on and won't build it any other way. All of the original parts are there (except the carb, I loaned it to a friend and never got it back) and it's rare enough that it's worth bringing back to life as a concourse, if anything as a part of Chrysler's varied history.

Other than that, I can walk through the survivor tent and appreciate dmoore's and 67baccaruda's survivors and then turn around and look at Hemi-itis's blown Hemi.

I like looking at the hot rods, too. Some of them are a work of art. The ones that catch my eye are the ones who build period pieces. There's a small show here a couple of times a year. Next to each other was two '49-'50 Fords. One with a small block Chevy. The other had a hot rodded flathead still nestled in between the fenders. The period piece caught my eye.

I swear, if a I had a nickle for every yahoo who made the suggestion of pulling the 239 "Y" block out of the '54 and replace it with a 302 or 351W the car would be on done right now. Same way with the guys who take a look at the 300 in my F250 and tell me to put a 460 under the hood.

1.) Why do I want to build what every one else will build?

2.) Why do I want to be like everyone else?

But then again, I plan on concourse building a 4 door B-body, putting a complete Viper suspension in an E-body, putting an Alter-K and an IRS with a five speed in an M-body,
and building a dual quad inline six cylinder Ford. What do I know? lol

-
Back