Centering a steering wheel

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Okay so a while ago I pulled my original steering wheel to repair it. I did not mark the center point and now I am having trouble getting it centered again. Any suggestions on how?

I do have some play in the shaft between the steering wheel and the power steering box.

huh? Do you not have the factory wheel? All mopars since the dawn of time had a master (twice as thick) spline on the steering wheel and both ends of the column that prevents installing incorrrectly.

If you want to center it and have no master spline procedure is easy. removed horn button and horn plate. test drive to determine which way it is off center, park and remove wheel and rotate in direction needed. repeat until it is correct.

I've known more than 1 alignment tech that would file away that master spline much faster and easier than re adjusting tie rods to get the steering wheel centered.
Without the master spline its trial and error. Lost motion in other parts along with crown in the pavement can make it more difficult too.

All I did was just barely put the steering wheel on and hand tighten the nut. I took it down the road and while driving observed which way it needed to be rotated until center. Pulled over removed the nut and rotated the steering wheel just enough and started all over again. I got it perfect ..... brought it home and tightened down snug.

No I did not find the master spline but I did find on the spline end in the cab a half moon has been removed from the end of the rod. While driving I noticed the car drove straight while it was straight down. I don't know if it is supposed to be there but it is and I can use that to fix it.

I do have a new issue though I think I may have screwed up the linkage between the steering column and the power steering box. I found as site describing the rebuild but I have a question. Do I have to remove the entire column? Do I also have to disassemble the column or can I leave it in the tube? If I have to disassemble I am going to replace as much inside as I can any suggestion where to find the internals?

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-houstons-steeringcoupler.html
http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-houstons-steeringcoupler.html

-
Back