Centering new rearend ?

-
You can measure all day and when you put it under the car you will find it closer to one side then the other. I have found the only way to guarantee tires will be in middle of wheel wells is install axle with pads not welded on axle under car with tires and wheels.
Move till you have tires same distance outer wheel well to outer wheel well Set pinion angle at this time, tighten u bolts to spec. set at ride height to be sure all dim. are were you want them. Then tack weld pads in place, remove axle and weld. If your good you could do it in the car. Note: when you narrow a axle to get the correct width put tires and wheels in wheel wells (no axle in car) car at ride height, put shims, wood, cardboard, or to keep wheels in place. Now you measure inside of wheel to inside of wheel and you have the width of axle, flange to flange. don't forget pinion off set, Moser uses 1.5 for Mopars.

I am running an 8 3/4.... just making the observation about 9" being real obvious at a glance..

I dont always assume that a professional shop knows all of this stuff,
the local spring Guru said to torque U-bolts down to 150# !
good thing I checked my factory service manual ! " tighten to 45 ft lbs... DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN U-BOLTS !!! "

You can measure all day and when you put it under the car you will find it closer to one side then the other. I have found the only way to guarantee tires will be in middle of wheel wells is install axle with pads not welded on axle under car with tires and wheels.
Move till you have tires same distance outer wheel well to outer wheel well Set pinion angle at this time, tighten u bolts to spec. set at ride height to be sure all dim. are were you want them. Then tack weld pads in place, remove axle and weld. If your good you could do it in the car. Note: when you narrow a axle to get the correct width put tires and wheels in wheel wells (no axle in car) car at ride height, put shims, wood, cardboard, or to keep wheels in place. Now you measure inside of wheel to inside of wheel and you have the width of axle, flange to flange.

That is exactly how I did it on our '68 Charger and we are perfectly centered in our wheel wells.

I am running an 8 3/4.... just making the observation about 9" being real obvious at a glance..

I dont always assume that a professional shop knows all of this stuff,
the local spring Guru said to torque U-bolts down to 150# !
good thing I checked my factory service manual ! " tighten to 45 ft lbs... DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN U-BOLTS !!! "

Dang! Good thing you looked in your manual or you'd have ruined the housing. As Rob said driving it with just the clamps holding it is a big no no. 45 lbs of torque on U-bolts holding an axel in place with a 3000+ lb car trying to twist it is a disaster waiting to happen.

-
Back