certified speedo

-

ike61

Reaction score
last summer i bought a 76 dart for parts. i just noticed it has a certified speedo. other than squad cars, what other cars would have had these? is it worth anything?

I will take it if you have the speedo gear from the trans. Otherwise if you dont have the speedo gear from the same car this gauge came from its not a certified speedo anymore....

I will take it if you have the speedo gear from the trans. Otherwise if you dont have the speedo gear from the same car this gauge came from its not a certified speedo anymore....

not saying i have any experiance with these speedo's but the gear is worthless unless you know and use the same tire and rear end gear...

second whats special about the gear?

not saying i have any experiance with these speedo's but the gear is worthless unless you know and use the same tire and rear end gear...

second whats special about the gear?

Its callibrated exactly with that speedo and is "Certified"
Otherwise its just another speedo with the words "Certified on it"

Its callibrated exactly with that speedo and is "Certified"
Otherwise its just another speedo with the words "Certified on it"

the gear in the transmission is worthless unless your rear end gears are the same as what was in the certified package...

Is it a four door car? Might have had some other municipal use....who knows. Wonder if there's any other oddities that came on the car? It is kinda cool though.

They had to be recertified every 30 days back in the 60s when a cop would clock you or the judge would throw the ticket out. Guess how I found that out. Real life experience baby.

last summer i bought a 76 dart for parts. i just noticed it has a certified speedo. other than squad cars, what other cars would have had these? is it worth anything?

I remember someone on one of the boards having 2 of these cars that were squad cars. I believe there is a designation on the fender tag but I don't remember the code. I'm thinking they also had front and rear sway bars and they were really low production cars.
I think it would be a good idea to run the fender tag codes and see what shows up.
There is quite a following for squad cars if they are restorable.
Dallas

the car was going to the crusher and was filled with scrap metal. I local cement guy told me about it and I bought it for $200. its a four door with an OD 4 speed, disc brakes, and slant 6. it looked like someone added air conditioning. definitely wasn't factory air. no front or rear sway bar or sure grip rear end.

I remember someone on one of the boards having 2 of these cars that were squad cars. I believe there is a designation on the fender tag but I don't remember the code. I'm thinking they also had front and rear sway bars and they were really low production cars.
I think it would be a good idea to run the fender tag codes and see what shows up.
There is quite a following for squad cars if they are restorable.
Dallas

I think you're thinking of A38s.

"The city cars often had a six cylinder, or a low power V8 since they would not be used for high speed pursuit. The New York City police department ordered a lot of cars with a slant 6. Imagine driving a Plymouth Fury police car with a slant 6. But then again, how much high speed driving would the average police officer be doing in NYC anyway?"

http://www.themusclecarguy.net/old-police-cars/

-
Back