Chain saw chains......

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
The 4 of them that I have are just about fried. My neighbor sharpens them for me and he told me that one of them is missing 5 or 6 cutters in a row and the other 3 only have 1 or 2 sharpenings left in them. Been wondering if I should order skip tooth chains this time. I am just taking down small Ponderosa Pines. Chain saw is a 24" Husqvarna 460. Have noticed that when I am taking down some of the bigger ones, trunks about 16-18" diameter that the saw really bogs down. Wondering if the skip tooth chains would be a bit better.....I still have several hundred yards of trimming to do, and then next year will likely trim back some more in an attempt at getting the roads a bit wider.....

i had to find out first what you mean - i use only what you call standard chains, but i cut mostly oak or beech (both hard) here during the wintertime. I think for cutting big diameter "soft" wood these skip chains can be an improvement, but with some disadvantages. See what i found:

www.madsens1.com/GRAPHICS/chain/seq.jpg

best regards

Michael

Skip tooth chains are all I use. They can have a tendency to kick back, but once you get used to it, it's ok. They cut like a ***** in church too.

The 4 of them that I have are just about fried. My neighbor sharpens them for me and he told me that one of them is missing 5 or 6 cutters in a row and the other 3 only have 1 or 2 sharpenings left in them. Been wondering if I should order skip tooth chains this time. I am just taking down small Ponderosa Pines. Chain saw is a 24" Husqvarna 460. Have noticed that when I am taking down some of the bigger ones, trunks about 16-18" diameter that the saw really bogs down. Wondering if the skip tooth chains would be a bit better.....I still have several hundred yards of trimming to do, and then next year will likely trim back some more in an attempt at getting the roads a bit wider.....
i use the chain that come with the saw i sharpen them after each use i have had no problem them at all i cut both hard and soft wood

I cut both hard,soft and sometimes dirty wood. I have found that the large retailers chains don't hold an edge as well as the chains I now buy from small engine shop. Since I started buying these chains (they make them to the length you need) I spend less time sharpening them, saws don't bog down, chips clear,,,,,,,,,,,
Maybe it's just my imagination, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Skip tooth chains are all I use. They can have a tendency to kick back, but once you get used to it, it's ok. They cut like a ***** in church too.
A little kickback is ok.....
i use the chain that come with the saw i sharpen them after each use i have had no problem them at all i cut both hard and soft wood
Need more than one chain. I am trimming the side of the loop road in our neighborhood. Either way out is a mile and a half, so there is a boat load of trimming......Been dulling out at least 1 of them on each trailer full of trimmings.

i have a 18 inch bar are all chains the same can i just go pic up a 18 chain

i have a 18 inch bar are all chains the same can i just go pic up a 18 chain
If you go to http://www.oregonchain.com/index_f.htm they have a selector guide that will help you figure out what chain you need. My 24" Husqvarna takes a chain with 84 drivers on it. I spoke with my neighbor again today. He was a logger for years. He suggested I look into buying bulk chain, in particular Oregon chain. He has the tools needed to turn into a usable chain. Only thing is I have only found 100 foot spools and that is a bit much for just one person.....

Skip tooth will cut faster but may kick back more. It will also take half as long to sharpen LOL If you really want to get it to cut get a flat file and file down the rakers. I did Tree work full time from age 18 till I was about 28. Once you start getting into long bars you have to use skip tooth or you will spend all day sharpening.

They cut like a ***** in church.

!!! MAN !!! I didn't know they allowed whores in church, or that they could cut after they got there!!!

We used to sell Oregon chain at a store I used to work, the loggers seemed to like it. Nearly no such thing (as a logger) around here anymore.

I have an old Husky 61 with a 20 inch bar. I only use Oregon standard chains. I don't like the kickback of the skip chains. I cut up to 20 inch maple and birch with it. If your saw is bogging down I would say it is because the chain is dull. A sharp chain does not bog down. Sorry if you don't like my answer, but it is from 35 years in the woods.

Jack

A few years ago I was invited to take a tour of the Oregon Chain saw factory. Seen how they make chains. They have their own forges on site and make all their own parts right there. The assembly process was a lot more involved then I would have guessed. Took us about 4 hours just to tour the place.
At the end they gave us all a bunch of stuff including 2 new chains for our saws.

I have an old Husky 61 with a 20 inch bar. I only use Oregon standard chains. I don't like the kickback of the skip chains. I cut up to 20 inch maple and birch with it. If your saw is bogging down I would say it is because the chain is dull. A sharp chain does not bog down. Sorry if you don't like my answer, but it is from 35 years in the woods.

Jack
My neighbor sharpens the chains for me with one of these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200327449_200327449
I used a new chain the other day and it was a good deal sharper than the ones he has done for me.

My neighbor sharpens the chains for me with one of these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200327449_200327449
I used a new chain the other day and it was a good deal sharper than the ones he has done for me.

There is nothing like a new chain. I have used chains that have been sharpened with one of those tools. I can get them sharper using a hand file. One of the big things when you sharpen a chain is to do what Adam said. Make sure you get the rakes at the proper height. Unfortunately, with me that is a hit or miss proposition.

Jack

I have been wondering if it is the way they are being sharpened. I have the files somewhere out in the bomb zone, I mean garage. Guess I should find them and figure out how to sharpen them the right way......

Once you learn how to hand file a chain you will love it .Every hour or so of cutting just stop for a break and dress the edge ,you will begin to feel the chain getting dull (while cutting)after some practice . Youtube it, it is fairly easy to learn .

Steve

-
Back