Champion 26" Radiator Review

-
72bluNblu Is that really the fan shroud set up out of a Ford Contour? If so great job!

Yup, that fan set up is off of a '95-2000 Ford Contour. They move a tremendous amount of air (~3400 cfm), more than a lot of the aftermarket fan set ups. And it fits like it was made for the radiator. I actually bought the fans new, Dorman part #620-104. They're wired through a Dakota Digital controller (PAC 2750). It's run off of a dual relay set up.

Honestly, I took the idea from goldduster318. He did the same thing, and has a really nice PDF write up of how to do it that he sent me. Made it a ton easier. But they can be had from the junkyard, they came in the V6 Contours and Mercury Mystiques.

After much discussion and research I finally found a person who talked to me on the phone with understanding and good support! It was with a company called Reliable Radiator and for 210.00 I have a aluminum radiator to fit my 65 formula s barracuda with the transmission cooler line options. It is a fairly rare set up as I find out but not unoriginal to my beast. I am now just waiting for it to come so I can install it and get a few more rides in before she gets stored for the winter here in Chicagoland! Next weekend highs in the low 30's! All I can say is the nice gentleman on the phone with these people helped me better than several other places I contacted including a few locally that actually produce aluminum radiators and just were unhelpful at all. I just got tired of fixing the original one and will store it and if down the road somebody wants it for a original resto job it will be up for trade!

65Cudalover

I have a 26" 3 row Champion in my '74 Duster with a pretty hot 340 behind it. I installed the ford contour dual fan set up with it, fits like it was made for it.

My car originally had a 22" radiator in it, so I had to drill the holes to mount the 26" radiator, but it was a piece of cake. I even welded the nuts onto the radiator support like stock to make my life easier. I installed a Dakota Digital fan controller and run the fans off of a couple relays. Works great!

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_1558_zps3b79216a.jpg

IMG_1563_zpsdd343921.jpg

What year did you get the fan off of?

'95 to 2000 ford contour. Mine is actually a Dorman replacement I bought new, part # 620-104

Thanks. I do have another question and my car cools just fine. But did you notice if you gained and Hp off of a electric fan? I ran the car back to back to back yet and it stayed around 170. But I also you like to have it for the hot south summer s.

Looking at this should I go with the 26'' core or 22 3 row ? 9.15 to 1 comp 360 no lead foot here Prine ?
http://www.championradiators.com/plymouth-barracuda-22-inch-small-block-radiator-1966-1969

Memike are running the new style water pump or the early style? I found this rad which is specific to early A. I think the 22 inch rad for 66 back cars is the way to go. If I try to compare the 26 rad in the demon I think it would hit the battery tray and it's taller.

CC64DT

Click to enlarge image(s)
All Aluminum Champion Radiator
3-Row Core | Cools up to 500hp

CC64DT Radiator Dimensions:
Total: 21.63" tall (with cap) x 22.38" wide (with brackets)
Core: 18.25" tall x 18.36" wide x 2" thick
Inlet: 1.5" passenger side off-center
Outlet: 1.5" driver
Tanks: 2.5" thick
Tubes: 0.63" thick

Bracket Mounted

16 lb. Radiator cap included
Transmission Cooler included

I got a 1968 barracuda I'm running a 440 with 2 fours is anyone on here running a aluminum radiator on there's need to know what size the radiator is on yours won't to go w/o electric fans or do I need to run electric fans?

gonna need high output alternator for ignition and those fans.... been there done that.... powermaster will hold the line.

I bought everything to do the electric fan/radiator upgrade, but really don't need it. Actually looking back my cooling was fine with the radiator that came in the car. I may just sell my Champion and electric fan set up and get a Champion radiator that will bolt in to my OEM holes. It will give me a little more room on the sides. I think removing the old flex fan the previous owner had installed and adding a shroud will be fine for me. My original cooling problem turns out to be bad gauge/sending unit.

26" Champion 3 row in my 72
20150612_155932_resized_zpst1egxvhz.jpg

The stock radiator....unknown width....but pic looks almost as wide as the Champion 26"er
360dart_zpsa0df1cca.jpg

I bought one a while ago, my big block Duster has never gotten above 180 with it. Other than poor weld quality and a few missing welds, I have had no issues with it.

I got a cc374 in front of my nasty lil 360 .060 with 10:1.... Cools it down fine... For 200 sumfin bux, its s killer deal!! I love mine

Ordered a Champion CC2374 22" 3-row core today for the 'Cuda after
viewing this thread.

Got it for $240.00 shipped...contact was Justin at 1-714-974-1650

Cools up to 550 hp

Will let you know how it works out after the holidays when we install it.
Will be using a pair of 10" electric cooling fans.

Ordered a Champion CC2374 22" 3-row core today for the 'Cuda after
viewing this thread.

Got it for $240.00 shipped...contact was Justin at 1-714-974-1650

Cools up to 550 hp

Will let you know how it works out after the holidays when we install it.
Will be using a pair of 10" electric cooling fans.

What made you go with that one over the CC526?

It's hard to beat the cooling for the price. I personally don't like the look of aluminum radiators in these old Mopars, so I opted for a traditional brass 4 core unit from US Radiator and run the factory 5 blade thermal fan driven by the factory serpentine belt that came on my 2000 5.9 Magnum take-out. It did cost me nearly double what these aluminum units go for, but it looks stock and cools great. Not running a shroud at this time because I would have to make one and it is cooling fine with out one.

Attachments

• oil trap 2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 609
72bluNblu or anybody, I'm interested in why you used the CC374 for B&E bodies instead of the one for the A body?

72bluNblu or anybody, I'm interested in why you used the CC374 for B&E bodies instead of the one for the A body?

Because Champion wasn't making a 26" radiator for A-bodies at the time. The radiator that they were selling for A-bodies was a 22" radiator. I had already set my Duster up for a 26" radiator using one that I pulled out of a '74 Dart, but it leaked so I bought the Champion.

Thanks for the reply 72bluNblu. I need to pick up a radiator for my Dart Sport ASAP so your info has been helpful. I'm right up the street from Champion so I think I may drive over there and talk to them.

challengergary suggested the CC526 for my car. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, after reading these replies I'm getting closer to doing it.

Is there any "special" care required with an aluminum radiator?

Just received a Champion CC374 for the Dart Sport and it looks great and fits like a glove no alterations needed. Does anyone know of a fan shroud that will work with this?

-
Back