Champion CC374 clearance advice in Duster

-

smartken22

U.S. Navy Senior Chief
Reaction score
Okay I put this in a separate thread since it is a common topic for the CC374 radiator. So my question now for all you duster guys who are using this radiator...mine is sitting right on the lower radiator brace. This is how it sits in the pictures and it clears the hood with no issues. My engine is still out so I can climb under the car and look at how much clearance I have. When I put a paint stick under it like you guys were saying it does not clear the hood. Do I need to pound down the lower brace or modify it in anyway? I have not drilled any mounting holes yet until I figure this out. Goldduster318 your the expert, help me out! I noticed your Duster was a newer body style so maybe there is a clearance difference. If I do keep it as is, what can I put on the bottom of this to prevent vibes wearing a hole in it? Thanks all in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1348.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_1349.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_1350.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_1351.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_1352.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_1353.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 437
Wow, this is really unexpected - My car is a 1970 so it should be identical - not that it really matters as they really all should be the same! I didn't modify mine at all other than drilling the holes.

20130721_191320_zps799c838e.jpg

20130625_193256_zps4f07b18b.jpg

I'd suggest trying to get just a little bit of clearance between the radiator and the body. It may scrub due to chassis flex.

The bottom of yours looks like this?
undercar2.jpg

It's almost like you somehow have a different lower piece. Mine is totally original

Mine is all original too so maybe there was a redesign of something? Slightly bigger tanks on the bottom or top? Here are some pics of mine. Let me know if you need some different angles.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_1364.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_1363.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_1362.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 425
Well, I have been out in the garage all morning beating on the lower brace trying to get this extra clearance needed to get the lower tank off the support. No luck so I am thinking about either cutting this one out and modifying it or doing some research to see if there is an upgrade like a tubular lower support. I have seen a couple of members resto forums with that mod and I know Dillenger was mass producing them but I believe he is taking a break from that. Any ideas?

Well, I have been out in the garage all morning beating on the lower brace trying to get this extra clearance needed to get the lower tank off the support. No luck so I am thinking about either cutting this one out and modifying it or doing some research to see if there is an upgrade like a tubular lower support. I have seen a couple of members resto forums with that mod and I know Dillenger was mass producing them but I believe he is taking a break from that. Any ideas?

How do the overall measurements of your rad compare to Goldduster318's?

We are both running the same radiator CC374. I just looked at mine and it is stamped CC374B. Could that be a difference? Right now mine measures L=26, H=24 to the top of the cap and it is 3" deep.

How do the overall measurements of your rad compare to Goldduster318's?

FWIW - the tubular lower rad support really helps with stiffening up the car. If you go that route, do yourself a favor and add the upper/inner fender braces too and you won't regret it. Together they will help your car handle like it never did even when brand new.

FWIW - the tubular lower rad support really helps with stiffening up the car. If you go that route, do yourself a favor and add the upper/inner fender braces too and you won't regret it. Together they will help your car handle like it never did even when brand new.

I do plan to go this route now. I just need to find a place/person that sells the parts.

OK I ended up cutting out the lower section of the lower radiator brace. The radiator has no fitment issues anymore, but now I have to wait for the engine to get installed to make sure the hoses line up where I need them. Once I get it hard mounted, I will either make a shroud to close off the bottom or go with a tubular setup which is my ideal choice. Here are some pics. The last pic is from a members car on the forum with the tubular setup I want to do.

Attachments

• IMG_1366.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_1367.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_1368.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1369.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1370.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_1371.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 350
  • radiator brace 002.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 364
We are both running the same radiator CC374. I just looked at mine and it is stamped CC374B. Could that be a difference? Right now mine measures L=26, H=24 to the top of the cap and it is 3" deep.

Most curious, if you look at their site the rad number you have is not compatible with your car according to them.

Compatible With

Dodge Challenger 1970-1974 (all small blocks)
Dodge Charger 1968-1973 (all small blocks)
Dodge Coronet 1968-1973 (all small blocks)
Plymouth Barracuda 1970-1973 (all small blocks)
Plymouth Belvedere 1970 (all small blocks)
Plymouth Roadrunner 1968-1973 (all small blocks)
Plymouth Satellite 1968-1973 (all small blocks)
Plymouth GTX "small block" 1968-1972 (all small blocks)

And again according to their site you should have a CC526.

http://www.championradiators.com/Plymouth-Duster-Radiator-1970-1973

Most curious, if you look at their site the rad number you have is not compatible with your car according to them.

Compatible With

Dodge Challenger 1970-1974 (all small blocks)
Dodge Charger 1968-1973 (all small blocks)
Dodge Coronet 1968-1973 (all small blocks)
Plymouth Barracuda 1970-1973 (all small blocks)
Plymouth Belvedere 1970 (all small blocks)
Plymouth Roadrunner 1968-1973 (all small blocks)
Plymouth Satellite 1968-1973 (all small blocks)
Plymouth GTX "small block" 1968-1972 (all small blocks)

And again according to their site you should have a CC526.

http://www.championradiators.com/Plymouth-Duster-Radiator-1970-1973

Champion doesn't spec a 26" radiator for the A-bodies, but they did come with them.

I have a Champion CC374 in my '74 Duster as well. 26" 3 core. When I installed it I did use a dead blow hammer to make a little more clearance on the bottom support, but I just figured that was because the lower support on my car was a little tweaked. It clears with the whole paint stick method now, and clears the hood. It does sit up a little taller than the radiator support though, maybe a 1/4".

I also added the Dilinger lower support brace, but I left the original in place. As far as the tubular lower brace, I think you'll have to have it made or make one yourself with Dilinger and XV both out of business.

This is how my Champion radiator sits in mine

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_1563_zpsdd343921.jpg

Well, they should fix that noise.

Yup. :thumbup:

I don't know when it became an option, I know that I parted a '74 Dart with a 318 and AC that had a 26" radiator. My '71 with a 318 and factory AC had a 22" radiator though, so maybe it was a 73+ thing.

It wasn't common, but they are out there.

Us Car tool list them

http://store.uscartool.com/Chassis-Stiffening_c_7-3-0.html

for some reason the a body brace by itself is not showing the detail page, but it is listed as well is in the whole chassis stiffening kit

http://store.uscartool.com/70-75-a-body-chassis-stiffening-kit.html

That's not a tubular brace. It welds to the original lower and reinforces it.

Not a bad option at all, better for a car trying to be more stock in appearance. But in this case it won't help gain any clearance.

-
Back