Champion cc374 update,not a direct fit for a body anymore

-

lead69

hopeless car junkie
Reaction score
Wanted to pass some info along,I noticed a couple threads lately stating the champion cc374 radiator would not fit an abody without cutting the lower support and since I wanted to use this radiator I did some checking.I borrowed one to test fit and it was too tall,the tank to tank measurements are 22.5 and tank to cap is 23 5/8 and they have a 17 1/8 core.The older ones under that part number were 21.5 tank to tank and tank to cap was 22.5 and were built with a 16 1/4 core.It would seem to me they originally built an a body 26" radiator and marketed it for b/e body cars but due to the amount of fitment complaints they changed the core size so the overall dimensions matched more correctly.Too bad they didnt just change the marketing to an a body 26" radiator and have a different part number for the larger core but that would make too much sense,so for now they dont work any more without clearancing the lower support.Beware as some sites still have the incorrect overall dimensions listed for the cc374 but it is definitely a larger core radiator now.

Who told you it was a direct fit? I, personally, have always told people they were designed for B&E Bodies and that some adjustments were needed to put it into an A body. Whatever dealer has been marketing them that way is not really using Champion's own marketing advice.

That being said, I really do wish they would come out with a direct fit 26" option for us A-Body people. I think I will bring it up again with my inside contacts at the plant. I know the owner of the company actually owns a 340 Duster and maybe I can appeal to his Mopar leanings to makes this product for us :)

Who told you it was a direct fit? I, personally, have always told people they were designed for B&E Bodies and that some adjustments were needed to put it into an A body. Whatever dealer has been marketing them that way is not really using Champion's own marketing advice.

That being said, I really do wish they would come out with a direct fit 26" option for us A-Body people. I think I will bring it up again with my inside contacts at the plant. I know the owner of the company actually owns a 340 Duster and maybe I can appeal to his Mopar leanings to makes this product for us :)

In my post I never said it was marketed for abody mopars but if you look at the original dimensions of the cc374 they were nearly indentical to a factory 26" abody radiator.If you do a search there are alot of guys that dropped them in without issue until some time ago when they changed to a taller core,some sites still have dimensions reflecting the shorter core which does not exist now.They were always marketed for b/e body mopars but they were short due to a 16" core (thats why they fit abody mopar perfectly) but at some point champion changed the core to a 17" to correct that.They dont need to build a another 26" for abody cars they just need to build the cc374 with the 16" core like they did,add another part number and boom they have a 26" for abody cars.Hotrodding is always about discovering a better part that fits without mods and passing it along and until they changed the core the cc374 was a great deal.It would be great if they would listen to you and get that done but until then Im just trying to get the info out for those that dont know.

Glad this came up before I dropped some coin on my cooling system change. I was planning on doing the same swap. Been delayed as we were busy selling our old house and buying a new one.

There is deifinitely a market for them if they want to pursue it and hopefully CG can convince them to make the 16 inch core available again for us Abody guys.

Steve

thanks for the heads up, i was getting ready to order one- I have the cougar electric fans ready to go- maybe one of the other manufactures has one this size?

I put one in my 69 dart went in nicely with a little fabrication.Like I have said before its hard to find anything that is a clean simple swap.JMHO Kevin.

-
Back