Champion Radiator and Factory Shroud

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Do any of you run a factory shroud on your Champion radiator??? What did you do about the open space between the top and bottom tanks and the shroud?? Do any of you who have done this have any pictures?

Thanks!

Leave open for better cooling air at speed, unless you have heating issues stopped at idle; there is a (very slight) possibility of air being drawn back from the engine compartment through these gaps to the front and through the rad again, which could effect idle cooling. If idle cooling problems arise, then you may try blocking the gaps and see if it helps (amongst other things). If it helps at idle, then retest at high cruise speed and see if the high speed cooling has been hurt by the blocked gaps.

I run the set up you described. I also left it open on the top and bottom. Im running a 190* stat and it stays dead on. If you need pics I can get some for you tomorrow.

Why not get some strip foam from a Home improvement/hardware store to fill the gap???

i have champion radiator in my car with a stock 4 blade steel fan on it with no shroud and just a gutted thermostat for some flow restriction.On 95 degree days sitting in traffic it never gets over 180-190. I have just for backup an electric fan on the front wired to a thermostatic control that is set at 195 and it only comes on sitting in traffic and usually cycles a few times after i shut it off.

this winter when i have it apart for cleaning and painting under the hood i want to put the factory shroud off the factory v-8 parts car i had. i want to do this because it looks better and
for safety.

I run the set up you described. I also left it open on the top and bottom. Im running a 190* stat and it stays dead on. If you need pics I can get some for you tomorrow.

I'd love to see a couple pictures if you can. That would be awesome! Thank you.

Thanks for the input guys.

I did the foam tape thing and also bought some door weather stripping, like what is around the doors on newer vehicles. I didnt notice a difference at all, with or with out it. It also didnt look that good when you popped open the hood. So I took it off.

Here are the pics for you.

View attachment fan.jpg

View attachment fan1.jpg

View attachment fan2.jpg

I did the foam tape thing and also bought some door weather stripping, like what is around the doors on newer vehicles. I didnt notice a difference at all, with or with out it. It also didnt look that good when you popped open the hood. So I took it off.

Here are the pics for you.

View attachment 1714838447

View attachment 1714838448

View attachment 1714838449

Nice. Thank you! How big is your fan? Looks like it's a tight fight. Thanks for the pics. I'll give it a shot without foam and see how it cools.

Nice. Thank you! How big is your fan? Looks like it's a tight fight. Thanks for the pics. I'll give it a shot without foam and see how it cools.

Its a standard 7 blade fan, I've never measured it.. The pics however are deceiving, there is about a 1/2" gap perhaps more between the fan and shroud all the way around it.

Straightline, is that the CC526 model, and did you use the nutserts that were provided in the radiator brackets?

Straightline, is that the CC526 model, and did you use the nutserts that were provided in the radiator brackets?

Yep, thats the model and I was going to but they where not crimped very tight and 2 fell out, before I even had it installed. I pulled those out (very easily) and installed my own 1/4-20 nutserts

-
Back