Champion Radiator dimension question.

-
Very little info on the fan. Universal fit 2,500 cfm? Tested how? :eek:

My Champion radiator has been great, but I'm willing to bet using that fan and relay set up will make you one of those guys that hates electric fans. For a 22" radiator you can use a 90-95 Ford Taurus fan, it pulls ~3,000 cfm on the low speed and ~5,000 cfm on the high speed. Putting it on a 3 core radiator is a little interesting because the fan motor actually is deeper than the water pump pulley, but it's offset so if you install it right it should work. Here's a thread with a bunch of info on it Taurus fan on Champion radiator

Wish I could help on the thickness. That dimension seems to be missing from a LOT of rad catalog info.

The rad very likely has 3 rows of 3/4" tubes which is just so-so in terms of heat transfer. I'll guarantee that the fan is FREE-FLOW rated at 2500 cfm which is just barely adequate if you could actually get that flow. But, put the pressure drop of 3 rows in front of it, and I expect the actual air flow to drop into the toilet. And the free flow at highway speeds is heavily blocked.

Well I'll let every one know how it turns out. I ordered one that should be here July 5th.

Well I guess I had to be my own guinea pig. I ordered the 3 row Champion with the aluminum shroud and the 16" fan. I wrote Champion, I wrote Challengergary, But no one answered my question about the thickness. So I'm here to tell you that the measurement is 6 1/2" from the core support to the tip of the fan motor. Which translate to NO it will not clear the water pump pulley.
So now I have a aluminum shroud and 16" fan For Sale NIB. I would probably clear a two row or if your engine is set back some.

Well a new update to the fan delima, After reading about the 3.8 Taurus fan working with the 526 Champion,read here
Taurus fan on Champion radiator
Well I ordered a new one from Rock Auto. Surprise! It won't work either1 It's to wide when mounted to the radiator and hits the water pump pulley! So for now I'm stuck with mounting a 16" fan to the Radiator with those fancy zip ties.

Did you trim back the original mounts on the Taurus fan? That thread mentions that the fan shroud has to be trimmed down for it to be mounted with the 3 core champion.

Like this

photo-jpg.1714733447

Yes, , basically like that. it was a new after market brand and looks like that one in the picture. But that radiator is not the 526, I think that is the MC374? Mine is a 526 with the squared off top tank on the ends.

Yes, , basically like that. it was a new after market brand and looks like that one in the picture. But that radiator is not the 526, I think that is the MC374? Mine is a 526 with the squared off top tank on the ends.

It's not a 374, that's a 26" radiator. The taurus fan is 22". I have a CC374 in my car, it has a Ford Contour dual fan on it that fits the 26" core. I think it's the old design 526, they updated some of their radiators. Like when the 374 became the 374B and became 23.5" tall instead of 22 5/8". It's definitely a 3 core radiator though, looks just like my 374 except for the width.

This is the one I bought, The first one. Tyc 620640
1994 FORD TAURUS 3.8L V6 Radiator Fan Assembly | RockAuto

Doesn't look the same does it? The one in the picture from that other thread looks offset more. You could try asking 71duster06 what he did, that thread mentioned he slid the radiator over a 1/4".

photo-jpg.1714733447

620-101-001.jpg

Yeah your right, they do look different!! I ordered it by the application they mentioned in that thread. My mistake. I have a 16" zip tied to the radiator for now. After I get this thing running and driving I'll come back and re address this if need be. Thanks for your help.

-
Back