Champion radiator install with twin electric fans

-

ckdezert

Reaction score
Just wanted to post my champion rad install in my 67 dart. The champion rads got mostly bad reviews on this site,but the on I received has great looking welds and fit.It does have some warpage issues that worried me,but after bolting it in about 6 months ago has had not problems.Tried to run the mopar fan and viscous fan package,but would not fit.Do not buy the electic p.o.c. electric fans for lead foot racing.Mine showed up with a crack in the outer shroud.After talking to lead foot racing three times to get a replacement-I gave up and ran it to see if it would draw enough air.The fan would not keep the temp down around town on 77 degree days.After removing the bearing felt really rough-Do not buy cheap fans!Purchased two spal 11" electric fans instead.They pull a lot more amps witch means they pull more air.These are high profile so had to cut down the outer shroud with angle grinder and a floppy disc grinder wheel.The fans sit 3/4'' off the rad core.Ran installation around fans and shroud so only air being pulled is threw rad core.
Car runs @185 around town on 65-75* days.The ambient temp seems to make a huge difference in temp.On the freeway RPM @3300 runs 195-200* on 90-93* days. around town at 190* on 90-93 * days.
Spal part #spl30102157
Champion rad part #cc2374B
my motor is a 360 LA,10:1 comp on pump gas.
hope this will help.

Attachments

• IMG_1665.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 1,391
  • IMG_1667.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 982
  • IMG_1666.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,015
Nice.
What kind of fan controller or relay/ fuse set up are you running?

Also what brand and amp alternator are you running?

I'm using the derale dual fan set up with the derale dual fan controller, 100 amp GM style 1 wire alternator.

I think I have 2 problems.

My alternator threw a belt a month ago before I initially overheated and decided on the dual fan set up.

I think I'm still having issues with my alternator bearing as it threw another belt and started to overheat on my initial test drive.
My fans could not keep up with the demand and the 40 amp circuit breaker supplied with the controller tripped thus shutting my fans down after I pulled into a parking lot.

Luckily. I had my spare belt which I installed looser than the one I threw and. I made it home fine just a mile away.

I'm wondering if I need to beef up my wiring with separate relays or mega fuses instead of the circuit breaker as my fans ran again once. I removed and replaced my fan fuse for my over ride switch to the fans.

I may also step up to a 140 amp alternator as I'm also running an electric fuel pump.

I'm kind of surprised you didn't use the dual fan setup that spal offers instead of using two single fans and fabbing your own mounting arrangement. Nice work though!

I have the same set up. It works better than what I had, but not much. I think the hood scoop I run builds a positive pressure in the engine compartment and the fans can't work as well against it. That or the two smaller openings don't allow enough air flow. I am thinking of fitting in a Ford Contour full sized fan in place instead.

Here's mine, the 22" radiator size kinda limits whats available. I'm just guessing here that you're '67 has that size too, but not sure.

I'm an old glass guy so it was easy for me to run some silver silicone around the rad/shroud seam that looks like aluminum weld and seals the gaps.

I have both fans running through a 30a fused relay each. The drivers side runs off a temp sender on the intake, the other side is switched from the dash. I just keep an eye on things when stuck in traffic, if the temp creeps up I just hit the toggle and it cools right down. Most of the time it only uses the left side fan.
not the best pic -pauly

Attachments

• 0625131824(1).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 842
This is a good pic that i found of my fan control setup. On the left side hiding behind the thermostat housing you can just see the temp sender. On the right you can see the Flexalite variable speed controller, and just behind it is the Bussman fuse/relay block that runs the fans and other electrical stuff. the MSD box is behind that.

I don't want to seem like I'm hijacking the thread.
It seems like a lot of folks aren't happy with they're Champion products like Zert said, but I like mine. -pauly

Attachments

• march 25, 2012 024_1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 805
Cudaspaz-running painless 185* thermostat switch kit witch turns both fans on. both fans have there own 40 amp relay with 30 amp thermo fuse.Have a 70 amp alt that is not keeping up with all the currant draw.Think a 100 amp from March performance would work.With elec fuel pump,both fans,MSD the amps are 12.9 at around 2000 RPM12.20 at idle.Not enough to charge batt.

-
Back