Champion Radiators in an A-Body

-

ckj688

Reaction score
Alright, so I've done some thread searching and I noticed that most people are going with the 26" Champion radiator. I NEED a radiator...my car easily gets up to 225 on a hot day...I want the 3 core, and I'm assuming that the 26" is decent fit compared to OEM?

Anyways, I noticed the only 26" is for a B-Body...and from the picture the inlet and outlet are on opposite sides then an OEM A-Body radiator...is there one that has the proper locations thats 3 core and 26"?

Thanks!
Craig

Call champion and talk to them I got mine there it was 210 shipped and its a 26 3 row all aluminum my car stays 185 all day long maybe 190 when 100 + outside but it was well worth it

i bought a 26" 2 core for my big block duster by mistake. i didnt know a 3 core would have fit. i used it anyway. i just drove it 3000 miles to florida and back. it was hot as balls. i was pressed for time i put the rad in and a 180 themostat, it went over 160 2 times in 10 days. once in stop and go traffic and once in the drive through at mc ds. it was close to 100 both days, it still didnt go over 200. i dont even have a shroud yet. they should have all rads with either side inlet outlet.

3 core is a myth.....what has more cooling surface area a 2 core with one inch tubes or a 3 core with 3/8" tubes?...That's why jamedart had good luck with his...I am not dissing the 3 cores though....if your cramped for space the 2 core does have a thinner overall core

Ya knowing how they work I would get a 2 core because with the 3 core I couldn't run a clutch fan it was too close

clearance isn't much of a concern as I'm running electric fans, but that does make sense with the surface area, am I a complete noob in asking if they make bigger tubes in 3 core radiators...?

you know, i couldnt get a good answer on tube size or core thickness from the guy that sells the champion radiators on moparts. he was giving me dimensions to the top tank never answered what size tubes they use. when i told him i had way more room he did tell me the 3 core was only 3/8" thicker and i could send it back if i wanted for the 3 core. i didnt really get that, the tubes look like 5/8 or 3/4 how the hell could one more tube only ad 3/8". again i asked what size the tubes were and never heard back. so i just kept the 2 core. i probably will get another 26" 2 core from him for my dart the howe rad from 2000 is starting to leak from the tubes.

I have a champion 3 core 26 inch rad in my 69 dart with 2 12 inch fans attached directly to rad. No shroud 165 thermostat 180 degree fan on switch will not keep it cool on hot day 90 degree stop and go traffic,Kevin.

2 core, 3 core blah.. I got a 3 core from them and sometimes, it runs so good that I dont even need the fans on. Also I run straight water and Jb brothers products :)

Take a look at what these guys have...

http://stores.ebay.com/Kool-Radiators

...I recently bought from them (22" 2-core for a '66 Dart). Granted, I had to return mine since the bottom tank barely hit the lower portion of the radiator support (might not be an issue on a later A-body though)...and I could have EASILY made it fit but, didn't want to trim/cut on an original D/Dart. I guess I'm stuck still looking for a factory '930 radiator a little longer! If I had trimmed the support, the radiator brackets would have lined up PERFECTLY!

The guy I've worked with (Brent, 714-599-3666) has been TOP NOTCH! The way he explained the 2 vs. 3 core is 3 core is "Champion" and 2 core is "American Eagle" (both being the same company, Champion). The 2 core has 1" tubes and the 3 core has 11/16" tubes. I'd say give Brent a call and tell him what you are after, he'll be more than willing to try and help you out!

I was ONE OF THE FIRST to put a 26" Champion Radiator in a A-body (my 74 Duster 360). It fit ok....I have a 180 stat', and I wired in the supplied 12" Dual Electric Fans, and I never could get my car to get over 160 in the driveway.
I have yet to drive it farther than just around the block....because I went straight from crankup and warm-up/breakin to Bodyshop.

So....be assured a Champion radiator will fit. How durable it is, is still unproven to me.
I am going to use a external trans cooler later when I get it Highway Worthy....From a performance standpoint, I have never liked having ONLY the radiator cool the trans fluid.

How are those bolt locations on the 22" radiators? Are they close to stock? or BETTER, anyone have pics!? haha

An email I got from Geoff at Champion.

I have some 2 and 3 rows with 3/4" tubes and some 2 Rows with the 1" tubes. Do you need the 26" wide core or the 22" ? I may be easier of you called...thanks!

Geoff
714-974-1650

-
Back