Change the rod bearings and cross your fingers!

Should I ....

• Change the bearings and cross my fingers

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Build another engine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Try some straight 50 and use ear plugs till I'm broke down on the side of the road somewhere

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Light it on fire and roast hotdogs over the flames.

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
-
Cheap way would be to just put bearings in it. The smart way would be to pull it and drop in a crate engine with a warranty.

So I have a 96 360 magnum that got some ported heads that were also a few cc smaller bumping up the squeeze... so after a few thousand it sounds like a slight rod knock 'pass side'. Its faint.... so I'm thinking about pulling the oil pan and changing A. The rod bearings and B. The oil pump. It's a crap shoot I know but the odds are slightly in favor I believe... but I could be wrong. Have to see what the journal looks like.
Should I or should I just build another..
What say you guys?

Throw a Mancini Racing refresh kit in it after tearing it down and inspecting for what is making the knock... (Rod bearings, main bearings, rings and gasket kit for $205)....

Clevite 77 Engine Kit - 360

Mic the journal to see how far out of round it is. Maybe try going with a few thousandths undersize bearing or just the top shells of an undersize set and regular size shells in the bottom to tighten the clearance marginally.

You're right -If the journal is out of round NO repair or mix of rod bearings will last--been there done that. It all hinges on the rod journal shape. Finish is secondary. J.Rob

It comes n goes.
It's gone at the moment.

What I'd really really really like...
Is an mp computer.
Those mthrfkrs programmed the stock magnums to retard under WOT.. They cruise at 36-38 advance and drop to 20 btdc at wot.
That's where power and mileage are lost on them.

It comes n goes.
It's gone at the moment.

Is an mp computer.
Those mthrfkrs programmed the stock magnums to retard under WOT.. They cruise at 36-38 advance and drop to 20 btdc at wot.
MP being killed off by Globalist Stellantis, is there an aftermarket unit you can use?

It comes n goes.
It's gone at the moment.

Is an mp computer.
You can tune them now with HP tuners.

FWIW, Rick Ehrenberg did an in-vehicle bearing job on the 150,000+ mile shop van. It worked, the van ran another 50,000+ before retirement. (At a guess, rust.)

So I have a 96 360 magnum that got some ported heads that were also a few cc smaller bumping up the squeeze... so after a few thousand it sounds like a slight rod knock 'pass side'. Its faint.... so I'm thinking about pulling the oil pan and changing A. The rod bearings and B. The oil pump. It's a crap shoot I know but the odds are slightly in favor I believe... but I could be wrong. Have to see what the journal looks like.
Should I or should I just build another..
What say you guys?
Is the crank Virgin, or cut

-
Back