Change up headliner

-

MnDartSwagger

Reaction score
Hello, FABO. Has anyone ever installed a hard headliner where a fabric one was orginally installed? I have a 68 Dart drag car with a 7.50 cert cage installed. Would anyone have a step by step (pix maybe?) on how to install a hard headliner in a 68 Dart? Thanks.

That's a tough one. I have never heard of a hard panel headliner ever being available for your car. Would have to be custom made. If I was to attempt this I would start with a panel out of a old van or something larger that could be cut down. It would have a slight crown built into it
which would be easier than starting with a flat sheet. The sails would be separate pieces.
It truly would be easier to install the factory replacements.
Do you have a cage in the way?

I guess I should have said is the cage in the way of the factory headliner bows?

I guess I should have said is the cage in the way of the factory headliner bows?

No, the cage was installed anticipating a headliner...but after watching a bunch of videos online of how a headliner is installed, you can't "drape" the headliner while you install each successive bow. I figured if I fabbed up a hard headliner, it would slide in over the cage.

Didn't know if anyone had attempted this before and how it turned out.

Thanks for the reply!

It sounds like you have the room for the bows ,this is good. First thing I would do is try a dry run of the bows without the headliner. Of course they need to be marked for location front to rear so they don't get confused during this shuffling around. If they can all be installed you should be able to install a factory style headliner. If not. I believe your thoughts of installing a panel board headliner will work but be challenging.
First you would have to cut to size the main panel to fit. Once happy with that out it comes again and curtains so to speak will have to be attached to the perimeter edge. When
the hard panel is fastened to the car you can pull these curtains down to the steel edge where the original headliner is attached and fasten in the same way as was factory intended.
I hope this makes sense. This is described in a simplified most basic way here.
If you wanted to get a better description pm me for a phone #. I would be happy to
help with material choices and more detailed methods to end with professional results. I have a upholstery shop and have been doing this kind of work for over 35 years.
Their is always a way, but it is not always easy.

I would think the cardboard/hardboard style like the later ('72+) Darts had would be no problem in a '68... If that's what you are looking for.

It sounds like you have the room for the bows ,this is good. First thing I would do is try a dry run of the bows without the headliner. Of course they need to be marked for location front to rear so they don't get confused during this shuffling around. If they can all be installed you should be able to install a factory style headliner. If not. I believe your thoughts of installing a panel board headliner will work but be challenging.
First you would have to cut to size the main panel to fit. Once happy with that out it comes again and curtains so to speak will have to be attached to the perimeter edge. When
the hard panel is fastened to the car you can pull these curtains down to the steel edge where the original headliner is attached and fasten in the same way as was factory intended.
I hope this makes sense. This is described in a simplified most basic way here.
If you wanted to get a better description pm me for a phone #. I would be happy to
help with material choices and more detailed methods to end with professional results. I have a upholstery shop and have been doing this kind of work for over 35 years.
Their is always a way, but it is not always easy.

Wow! That's the kind of input I was looking for. Thank you so much. I will trial fit the bows and take it from there. The idea of the "curtains" on the edge of the hard liner is a great idea!

-
Back