Changing a floor 4 speed shifter to a 4 speed console shifter on a 65 cuda

-

guido

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 65 cuda from bring a trailer, the car has a 4 speed floor shifter, see pic. What would I need to convert it to a 4 speed console type shifter?
Do I just need a different shifter handle and a console setup? [My white 64 cuda got t-boned by a dingbat girl who ran a stop sign]

65 CUDA  FLOOR SHIFTER PIC.jpg

1965_plymouth_barracuda -1.jpg

I should have added this picture to the original post. Anyway...
Here is a picture of what I did on my white pushbutton auto 64 before the crash. I used a 64 polara auto console added the cup holder and installed a tach from a 64 GM car.

64 CUDA CENTER CONSOLE & TACH  VIEW.jpg

I recently purchased a 65 cuda from bring a trailer, the car has a 4 speed floor shifter, see pic. What would I need to convert it to a 4 speed console type shifter?
Do I just need a different shifter handle and a console setup? [My white 64 cuda got t-boned by a dingbat girl who ran a stop sign]

View attachment 1716014160

View attachment 1716014165
Here's a 65 Console.

1669225345499.png

1966 Barracudas came with the same console they used in the 1967 and later A bodies. You would need the console, brackets and shifter handle. That is assuming that your shifter linkage accepts the same type of bolt on handle.

If you use the later 4 speed console you will likely not be able to fit it in between the 65 seats as the 65-earlier seats are much wider than the 66 seats. 67-later bodies are wider so the seats are farther apart with enough room for either style coffin console. That 64 B body console would fit but IDK about the shifter

I am using 66 buckets in my 65 wagon so am able to use A 66-70 B body console in between them

Hi,
Here is the pic again of my 64 barracuda with stock seats and a center console from a 64 automatic dodge polara. [the tach is from a 64 GM car]. I purchased brackets online and moved both seats out towards the doors after removing the broken seat belts and the center console fit in. I milled out the center console plate's auto hump and pressed in plastic cup holders. it worked out great.

I am still looking for pics showing the complete 4 speed shifter setup I'll need to move my current 4 speed handle to the center of the 65 blue transmission hump, so I can put a B-body center console in. I heard from numerous people that the 't' inland reverse lockout 4 speed shifter was discontinued by Mopar after 2 years due to the cable failing.
I was told it was replaced with Hurst 4 speed shifter that was more reliable. so am looking for info on that shifter.
To fit the center of a b-body console it looks like the offset needs to be about 3-1/2 inches to the right.
One member said I just need this shifter handle
[SOLD] - 4-Speed Center Console and shifter
is that true?
There's one on ebay now and my car's in the shop and can't check if my current shifter handle bolts on to a flat horizontal plate, rather than on the side. Does anyone know?
Angelo aka Guido

64 CUDA CENTER CONSOLE & TACH  VIEW.jpg

65 FLOOR SHIFTER-4.jpg

Pre 66 A Bodies had the small console/shifter plate. The bucket seats were wider and a 66 and newer console won't fit without the 66 or newer seats. B body consoles shouldn't work well either if at all.

Pre 66 A Bodies had the small console/shifter plate. The bucket seats were wider and a 66 and newer console won't fit without the 66 or newer seats. B body consoles shouldn't work well either if at all.
Hi Mike,
You sent this to me before and I didn't get how that was to help me with my 4 speed B body center console in a 65 A body cuda project? What am I missing?
Angelo aka Guido

Hi Mike,
You sent this to me before and I didn't get how that was to help me with my 4 speed B body center console in a 65 A body cuda project? What am I missing?
Angelo aka Guido
Sorry, I didn't get that from your first 2 posts

@guido All of that stuff that was listed in the sale ad you posted in reply #6 above has to work together. The crooked looking offset shifter handle is hidden under that style console, and the only part that sticks up is the round part of the handle. It won't help you to just get a console shifter handle and use it with the 65 B body setup like you had before. That looked VERY nice, by the way!

What you might do, is try and mill that same style B body console right around the shifter boot currently in your car and make it fit with the existing shifter handle. Your other car that got smashed was an automatic push button shift car and had a regular trans tunnel. Your new to you 4 speed car has that same trans tunnel with a 4 speed hump welded in on the drivers side of the hump to clear the shifter linkage. Hopefully, this little bit of info sheds more light on the differences between the 2 cars and why that shifter handle by itself won't benefit you.

:thumbsup:

Hi JD, I am making some progress on installing a b body center console into my 65 a body 4 speed cuda. I found this '4084' shifter handle that will bolt up onto my 4 speed hurst shifter. It should bring the shifter handle into the center of my tranny hump. It looks like I will be able to mill out the 'automatic hump' on the automatic console plate like I did for my 64 cup holder as shown above, then mount a rubber boot on it. we'll see how it goes. Angelo aka Guido
[BTW I removed the sony radio in the pic above and went with a hidden blue tooth audio system.]

4084 hurst inland offset shifter.jpg

-
Back