Changing Bezels on Taillights

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
May I ask a favor of all my brothers and sisters out here on the FABO Forums? I need help in this area. I have purchased a mint set of taillight bezels and I need some help in how to seperate the lenses from the old bezels. I do not want to damage the lenses and am unsure of how I can seperate these from each other, I asked last week in the chat room and was advised to place the assy's into the oven @150 degrees for 15 mins. and that I should be able to seperate them? Anyone ever tried this? And I was also wondering what would be the best adhesive to use when reattaching the bezels to the lenses. Thanks in advance for the help!!!!!!

I have not done this myself, but I think I would try to separate them w/ a hair dryer before putting them in the oven.

Let's first make sure we are clear on your terminology (and I assume you are doing this for a Duster).

By "bezel", are you referring to the chrome plated trim rings on the outside of the trunk tail panel, or are you talking about the black plastic housing that is inside the trunk and contains the bulbs?

The chrome bezels (that's what I have always understood them to be called) are fastened onto the tail light assembly using speed nuts. It is VERY easy to twist off the studs from the back of these fragile pot metal pieces, so be EXTREMELY cautious when removing those nuts. I try to support the stud with a pair of pliers when slowly turning the nut.

As far as I have seen, the lense is not held onto the black housing by adhesive. There are three (I think) tabs on the edge of the red lense that hook underneath "catches" on the housing. I have always been able to CAREFULLY pry the tabs out of the catches. Don't put much pressure on the black housing, try to press more on the red lense. Do the side with only one tab, then the other side just hinges away.

Thanks for the help. I am looking to swap out the chrome trim bezels on my taillights. Your information on this subject is very much appreaciated. This would be for my Duster, you were correct. Thanks!!!!! Changed them out this afternoon, They look great!!!!!!! I do need to get different nuts because the studs on the new bezels are not the same thickness as the old ones but otherwise they look great!!!! Thanks for all of your help.

In that case, look inside the trunk and you will see six tapered, metallic studs poking through the tail light housing, each with a speed nut (or whatever you want to call them). Those are the studs that have a tendency to twist off the back of the bezel. The nuts in the corner by the quarter panel are hardest to reach and most difficult to grab with pliers to support, but try you must. If you use a deep well socket by itself, chances are fairly high that you snap off the stud (my experience, others may vary).

Try to use a box or open end wrench on the nut while supporting the end of the stud with pliers (Vise Grips maybe). Probably wouldn't even hurt to give them a little shot of "slick-um" (insert your favorite brand of penetrating oil here). Go slowly, this is NOT where you want to use an impact wrench. Hopefully, this will get you off on the right foot.

The same goes for installing the new bezels. The speed nuts are somewhat self-tapping. Give them a shot of spray, too. DO NOT overtighten. If you are thinking about taking one more turn on the wrench - don't.

Don't forget to buy a new set of foam seals, or the spare tire will be floating in the trunk.

Good luck,
Jerry

*** Dang, I got sidetrack at work when I first started this last reply and didn't see you had already got it taken care of. Oh, well. Maybe someone else can use the info.***

Congrats

I just wanted to insert a thought here. I broke one of my studs off and discovered that the speed nuts are 1/4-20 so I threaded the remaining post to 1/4-20 and used a regular nut and washer. I then ran the die over all the studs and the speed nuts go on and off easily.
Andrew

Thank You Andrew. I tried to get the nuts this afternoon and did not have much success. It seems as though the new bezels have thinner shafts than the old ones. I was only able to get two of the nuts to hold and they still do not hold as well as I'd like. I am searching for some new nuts which I can use. I went to Autozone- no luck. Tried a local Hardware store- no luck. I think I may go to Fastenall tomorrow and see if they can hook me up with some fasteners.

Our LOWE'S and Home Depot both have a good variety of fasteners. Not sure if they have those nuts, but it's worth a try.

By the way, where did you get your new bezels?

I can't believe y'all gave him the answers he needed without making him post at least one picture of the new bezels!!!
We could have checked out his cool new goodies!

Jerry and Andrew, we really have you to blame for this situation...you're just waaay too helpful and generous!

dustermaniac, could you (pretty please!) let us see how they look? :love4:

PS - Your Duster looks like a sweet ride...

-
Back