Changing drums to disks

-

Frank Dinatally

Reaction score
I have made the change from drums to 4 wheel disk brakes on my 65 barracuda. I am having issues with master cylinder issues by having a very high peddle. I tried 2 different wilwood master cylinders and the peddle was almost touching steering wheel. Has a shop that does a lot of conversions and they suggested a 1977 corvette cylinder and is pretty much better peddle but is still higher than needed. Plus if you lift up on the peddle for any reason the rod falls out and you have no brakes. I know someone has the answer and as always thanx in advance

IMG_0094.jpeg

IMG_0093.jpeg

IMG_0092.jpeg

We're it my car, I'd send the w/wood m/cs back, get either the straight bolt on stock cast iron 15/16 master cyl OR his 2 - bolt modern plastic 15/16 M/C from DrDiff, with correct pushrod that won't fall out, and pedal height .

Keep in mind you won't get good pedal till all pads are firmly in contact with the rotors and properly bled.
I prefer the vacuum bleeder.
Good luck .

Last edited:
As far as the rod falling out, the OEM masters have a socket in the piston with a rubber grommet that the rod snaps into. It can be almost impossible to remove the rod once it's in there. The piston is retained by either a small bolted-on tab or a bolted-on boot. Any MC should have some kind of positive system for retaining the rod. I wouldn't use one that didn't.

Did you consider that your rod may be too long (high pedal)?

power or manual brakes?

if power, was it originally power and you're using stock components? or is it an aftermarket set up?

It is Manuel and aftermarket
was the car originally power or single pot master?

what i'm getting at is that if you're using the original push rod that may be part of the problem.

you likely need an adjustable push rod, one that is machined for the retainer.

i like this one:

personally i'd adios that vette master and get the two bolt with an adapter like so:

was the car originally power or single pot master?

what i'm getting at is that if you're using the original push rod that may be part of the problem.

you likely need an adjustable push rod, one that is machined for the retainer.

i like this one:
[/URL]

personally i'd adios that vette master and get the two bolt with an adapter like so:

[/URL]
Leaning that way

You either have the wrong m/c.....or the wrong pushrod.....or both.

-
Back