Changing from 5x4 to 5x4.5

-

MCMLXXI

Reaction score
I want to 'upgrade' from the current 5x4 lug spacing to the more wheel shopping friendly 5x4.5. What's the best way to do this? I am assuming I can upgrade to discs on all corners using aftermarket kits and accomplish this, any other suggestions, or is this the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance!

You can swap out your front brakes for 73 up pieces. For the rear you can have your axles and drums re-drilled for 4.5" pattern by Moser Engineering. You can also buy a pair of Yukon axles but you`ll need different backing plates and drums. If you already have disc brakes up front you can machine a 67 Mustang rotor to work.

You can swap out your front brakes for 73 up pieces. For the rear you can have your axles and drums re-drilled for 4.5" pattern by Moser Engineering. You can also buy a pair of Yukon axles but you`ll need different backing plates and drums. If you already have disc brakes up front you can machine a 67 Mustang rotor to work.
You can have axels made to your backing plate,brake specs.Through Moser,Yukon,Strange.

What rear axle size are you running now? If 8 3/4, swap shafts and drums, If 7¼, an axle from a 73 or later disc brake car is a direct swap. You can also look for an 8¼ axle with a 4½ bolt pattern, but you'll need a shorter drive shaft as well as U-bolts and pads for a 3" axle tube. Same drill if you land an 8 3/4 axle.
For the front, find a 73 or later disk brake set up. This includes UCA, spindle, rotor, bearings, caliper, ball joints, and hose. Swap the master cylinder and brake proportioning valve, too. Recommend that you save shipping and buy new rotors locally. (or get some of those slotted and drilled jobs.)

I am currently running an 8-3/4 rearend...I am leaning toward the redrill of the axels as then I could afford a rear disc upgrade on the new bolt pattern, but am also curious if there are any shaft replacement options outside of custom shafts through someone like Moser? I have a modest budget, but have other parts that I want to go with the best on.

How much work is involved to make the Mustang rotor work on the disc spindles?? I never heard of this before?? Is there info anywhere on this swap?? Thanks

:read2:

Moser Engineering can redrill your front rotors to 4.5" and install screw in studs. Check out their web site for services and pricing.

Dscn1089.jpg

How much work is involved to make the Mustang rotor work on the disc spindles?? I never heard of this before?? Is there info anywhere on this swap?? Thanks

:read2:

I'm also interested in knowing specific details on the mustang swap. Thanks.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=20544&highlight=mustang

Hey guys, here`s a link to a thread I started on this swap. Please take note that you must start with DISC BRAKES for this to work.

Moser Engineering can redrill your front rotors to 4.5" and install screw in studs. Check out their web site for services and pricing.

I don`t know how long ago you had those done but when I contacted Moser about 1.5 years ago to do a pair of rotors for me, they said they do not do them any more because there wasn`t enough call for it. Now they`ve replaced the machine they used to redrill those rotors and installed something else more profitable. It would still be worth a call to try again but I think they`re done with that mod for now.

-
Back