Changing from a 8 3/4 to Dana 60 - axles?

-

airwoofer

Drivetrain limit explorer
Reaction score
In anticipation of putting my big block into the drag Demon I am looking into getting a Dana 60 setup so it can be a bolt-in replacement. The 8 3/4 is narrowed to about 48" flange to flange and has the ladder bar brackets. I have a Dana lined up but it needs to be narrowed to fit and have a set of ladder bar brackets put on. I would like to be able to use my 35 spline Moser axles that are in the 8 3/4 in the Dana. Both rear ends have spools.

Is the side to side width of a Dana spool the same as the 8 3/4 spool? Anybody know?

I don't believe so... but I haven't measured before. I seem to recall the D60 being about 1.5" wider overall but tha's a rough guess on memory.

I could look tomorrow when im at the shop, but im pretty sure the 60 is wider and that would be great to do if would but i think it's not going to happen

When I get the Dana in, the 8 3/4 housing will be surplus. Will be quite a while I am afraid.

Not going to work unless you build the dana with no pinion offset.

Same brakes, the housing should be the exact same 48" width if you want your wheels in the same place as your 8.75.

The 8 3/4 has pinion offset. I am worried that the Dana spool is wider at the splines than the 8 3/4 spool, but don't have a way of measuring one to compare.

The axles you have now are the same length.

Dana with a mopar offset require axles of different lengths on each side. The drivers side axle will be ~1/2" too short. You have to cut some off pass side

8.75's the offset is taking up in the pumpkin.

In anticipation of putting my big block into the drag Demon I am looking into getting a Dana 60 setup so it can be a bolt-in replacement.

Why?

What is this new circulating idea that 8 3/4's are weak. I'm slapping 500 ponies to one redularly with wrinkle walls. My friend has one in his 9 second door slammer. (67 Camaro) They are plenty strong.

Why?

What is this new circulating idea that 8 3/4's are weak. I'm slapping 500 ponies to one redularly with wrinkle walls. My friend has one in his 9 second door slammer. (67 Camaro) They are plenty strong.

with a spool the 8.75 is really strong, after 500/550 the spider gears start popping out.

I will be using the 8 3/4 with my SB to shake out the car. The Dana is for when I put the 540 in. The dyno shop is having to just about replace the whole dyno and I won't know until they fix it how much power the BB will make, but I sure hope it is over 550 HP.

Crackedback, I put my 8 3/4 housing on top of the Dana to see if the offset was about the same and didn't notice the difference. I'll look at the axles tonight. Yeah, I want the new rear end to be a drop in replacement, except for the driveshaft as the Dana I am looking at has a 1350 yoke.

Anyways thanks FABO. What a great source of info!

If you measure your dana from the center section axle tube insertion point to the axle flange and they are both the same length, it doesn't have the proper mopar driveline offset built into it.

If it's built correctly, the drivers side tube will be 1 3/8" longer than pass side.

-
Back