Changing gauge cluster light bulbs - How To

-

SGlez10

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have a 1968 Barracuda Notchback and i recently had the dash cluster mounted at a shop but once I did a night drive I noticed the lights didn’t really do their job. I’m looking to install new bulbs.

Is the process of taking out the old ones and putting in the new ones difficult?

I didn’t see another thread on here related to changing them while gauges are still installed on dash. Any help here?

REALLY hoping I don’t have to remove the dash out just to change the bulbs.

Do you know if your headlight switch rheostat dimmer for the gauges is turned to the full bright position?

I installed led bulbs and they are much brighter. They are polarity sensitive and only work when installed one way. It is a hard job to install them with the dash in place. Particularly if they can only be installed one direction. Better have small hands and a lot of patience. You run the risk of breaking something else or knocking other connectors loose.

I bought a fiber optic camera that works with my iPad so I can see up under the dash. It cost about $40.

Drop the steering column by removing the u- strap under the dash board. Remove the cluster screws and switches per the factory service manual. Take it out a bit and disconnect the speedometer cable and electrical plugs - take pictures of the process for reassembly. Some of the speedometer cables are a screw on nut and most are a single clip on the end of the cable. Remove the dash and work on a bench. It’s like a 3 out of 5 for difficulty. To reinstall- run the process backwards. It should take you about 1-2hrs on a rainy day. You can do it.
Syleng1

Before pulling the instrument panel please disconnect the battery.

And Dana is correct, check the light switch "dimmer" switch. All the way counterclockwise just before the click to turn on the dome light.

Drop the steering column by removing the u- strap under the dash board. Remove the cluster screws and switches per the factory service manual. Take it out a bit and disconnect the speedometer cable and electrical plugs - take pictures of the process for reassembly. Some of the speedometer cables are a screw on nut and most are a single clip on the end of the cable. Remove the dash and work on a bench. It’s like a 3 out of 5 for difficulty. To reinstall- run the process backwards. It should take you about 1-2hrs on a rainy day. You can do it.
Syleng1
Thanks for the step by step instructions

The head light switch pull out knob when turned one way makes them dimmer the other makes them brighter.

If it clicks the interior dome / map light should come on just before the click is the brightest.

Ok I’ll try this when I get home later I’m already at work. Hope this helps because replacing the bulbs sounds a bit complicated, even though it’s very doable.

I can usually reach the bulbs without dropping anything. It takes more time figuringout how to get my hands up there but still much easier than removing the instrument cluster. Under dash a/c will make this a different story.
Use a lamp and if needed a mirror to get a good lookj first. Other than that its by feel. The bulbs are held in with 1/4 turn sockets. Over time they get brittle. :(
IIRC the bulbs are all 158 wedges base.

Yes. try your dimmer control first!

The 68 shop manual has an illustration of the instrument panel.

I can usually reach the bulbs without dropping anything. It takes more time figuringout how to get my hands up there but still much easier than removing the instrument cluster. Under dash a/c will make this a different story.
Use a lamp and if needed a mirror to get a good lookj first. Other than that its by feel. The bulbs are held in with 1/4 turn sockets. Over time they get brittle. :(
IIRC the bulbs are all 158 wedges base.

Yes. try your dimmer control first!

The 68 shop manual has an illustration of the instrument panel.
Thanks I’ll keep this in mind and if even bringing down steering helps I’ll do that too. I have to add a Steering seal there anyway to close off firewall

I can reach all the bulbs with the dash in place, but I have narrow, flexible hands, thin wrists, and I don't mind a few scratches. And I already know where they all are by feel. It would be massively frustrating if you didn't already know where they were. A mirror or a horoscope would certainly help. I have also had the cluster out 7 or 8 times so I know how much hassle that involves, as well.

I can reach all the bulbs with the dash in place, but I have narrow, flexible hands, thin wrists, and I don't mind a few scratches. And I already know where they all are by feel. It would be massively frustrating if you didn't already know where they were. A mirror or a horoscope would certainly help. I have also had the cluster out 7 or 8 times so I know how much hassle that involves, as well.
Sure wish you were closer to Long Beach Ca

Sure wish you were closer to Long Beach Ca
I checked the dimmer, turned it all the way to brightest and it went up slightly but it’s still not bright enough. It looks like I’ll be changing the bulbs soon. Thanks for all your help gents.

How often do you drive at night?

Is it really worth the headache?

BTW a brighter bulb will also be hotter and will melt some of the dash lense covers etc.

I put LED bulbs in Vixen and they are great. Only "drawback" is you lose the dimmer function. Since I replaced them to get brighter lights, that's not a problem at all.

BTW a brighter bulb will also be hotter and will melt some of the dash lense covers etc.
I won’t be driving much at night but the few times I have it really bugged me that I had spent so much to make it look nice and original, but couldn’t see the numbers at night. Is that a common thing that happens to the lenses with LED’s? I’ve never heard of that, and a lot of guys are putting LED’s

ehhhh.....LEDS don't produce anywhere NEAR the heat incandescent bulbs do.

Hi Saul, we installed leds in our 67 cuda and it made a good difference. I also added a headlight relay. Taking the time to take front seat out helps!

Also of note, remember this. LEDs are diodes, so that means they will only work plugged in one way. If they don't work upon installation, turn them around.

Off the subject but both of you Rusty and Steve have helped me since I started this build so here are a few pictures of my car now.

89CB9AD5-83CA-483E-B332-DDA108DC7717.jpeg

DD565974-960E-4695-B238-018E2DC67DE4.jpeg

4D336CC0-1C56-4F3F-B7A8-8D96340B8163.jpeg

2f3e6510-2e25-424f-981b-53c77b846d7b.jpeg

ehhhh.....LEDS don't produce anywhere NEAR the heat incandescent bulbs do
That is correct IF you want to deal with the draw backs.

I was specifically talking incondescent.

I have melted a hand full of lenses in my day with a bulb that was just a a tad brighter!

That is correct IF you want to deal with the draw backs.

I was specifically talking incondescent.

I have melted a hand full of lenses in my day with a bulb that was just a a tad brighter!
I agree. I can hardly call losing the dimmer function a drawback, since the cluster lights in these cars were about like miniature candles anyway. lol

If you look you can find NON_POLARIZED LED BULBS. This process, without taking the cluster out, is difficult at best. Non-polarized bulbs can be installed in either direction and reduce the frustration factor significantly. If you leave one incandescent bulb in the set the dimmer will work most of the time. Pick one that is not that important.

-
Back