Changing Oil

-

afbill

FABO World Ambassador
Reaction score
I'm 41 years old. I've changed oil hundreds of times. Why is it that whenever I perform this everyday mundane task I make a HUGE MESS!! I'm talking messes of biblical proportion!!! Some times I flat miss the catch pan, other times I step on the catch pan and other times I drop the oil can or other such catastrophe.:banghead:

Am I the only person with such problems?

Ha,Gotcha beat...Did an oil change for my Dad on his Jeep Compass today,....Not a big deal, I do about 40 oil changes a month,...Forgot to put the drain plug in,(really)...lost about 3 quarts before the "Oh Crap" light went on in my head,...I haven't done that in 20 years,...yep, I made a mess as well...

Well, if you ever tried to change the filter on anything, you know that they put them in the most ridiculous places. Just try to change the filter on a big block B-body with the filter hovering just above the K-frame, and no way to get anything under it!!!ARRRGGGHHH!! I feel your pain bro!! Geof

Outside in the wind.. Starts out fine, then when I go back to check, the stream is blowing and running down the side of the pan.. yup.

Grant

Am I the only person with such problems?

You are not alone .... sometimes its worth the extra few bucks to take them to a rapid lube place. I won't even bother with my 08' Charger R/T anymore. I still change oil in my truck and my Plymouth but always make a mess to one extent or another. Last change in my Plymouth I changed it hot. Turned the oil plug out to the last thread and pulled it away as the oil started gushing out - the plug went back and stuck half way in the hole - yup, a magnetic plug.... Oil sprayed out in 5 directions around it. One time some months ago I had changed oil in something - with minimal mess. I was transferring the used oil into the empty gallon jug on the bench and when it was full it decided to fall over - on me ..... :-({|=

No sir you are not alone....

I have a huge stash of cardboard (big sheets) for this very reason! When I make a mess (not everytime, but it happens) I can just fold it up and toss it...

all I can think of when i go under my car is how evil it will be to change my oil filter. the slant appears to have been designed purposefully to ruin your life when you go to do so. Speaking of which its about time for an oil change.

-
Back