changing out oil pan while in car- done it?

-
I have met her personally. Nice lady actually. Talked with her a couple times in Anchorage. Interesting story about how that even came about. She worked the canneries like so many young folks did in the 70s in Alaska. She really gets a bad press from the right wing media.
She was hot back around 1990...

She was hot back around 1990...
She is a lot older than me- and I am no spring chicken LOL- but they both were a fit nice couple, Bill was doing president stuff, talking to big wig types, and HIllary was meeting the locals (me and about 5 others) on Air force one. She gave us the tour of the plane, talked about her experiences in Alaska, it was a very nice experience. We talked politics too, I was there for a couple hours, They had to do something at Elmondorf with the plane for like 15 hours, I think we were a break from the grind for them.

I think, like other famous people I have met, they were starved for conversation with "normal" people that weren't yes men or looking for favors. She asked me straight up about how I felt about some things, and it was against Bill's public positions. She was willing to debate me on facts or a couple times conceded that with a republican majority they had to make shifts in policy they didn't agree with.

I am a researcher for a living now, and was kinda known in political circles in Alaska at the time for my ability to fact check, and I pulled no punches with the truth with her and she had no ego about it, which was really cool to observe.

In my 1964 Valiant 225, I jacked the engine up ~2". You can prop it up with blocks of wood between motor mounts and motor. Disconnect the steering cross-link by pulling off the Pitman arm. Needs the larger-size Pitman puller from Harbor Freight (or others). When re-installing, note the wide spline. Good time to change the lower power steering sector shaft seal. A trick is to remove the cir-clip, run the engine to build pressure (and turn steering), and the seal should pop out, with any debris at the bottom, so have a pan below.

Good time to replace the rubber mounts. I also bent the R engine bracket straighter as it appeared slightly bent which put the distributor too close to the inner fender. I used the special silicone gasket from Real Gaskets of TN (~$30). The others tend to leak after a few years and using straight silicone RTV is tedious to clean up next time.

In my 1964 Valiant 225, I jacked the engine up ~2". You can prop it up with blocks of wood between motor mounts and motor. Disconnect the steering cross-link by pulling off the Pitman arm. Needs the larger-size Pitman puller from Harbor Freight (or others). When re-installing, note the wide spline. Good time to change the lower power steering sector shaft seal. A trick is to remove the cir-clip, run the engine to build pressure (and turn steering), and the seal should pop out, with any debris at the bottom, so have a pan below.

Good time to replace the rubber mounts. I also bent the R engine bracket straighter as it appeared slightly bent which put the distributor too close to the inner fender. I used the special silicone gasket from Real Gaskets of TN (~$30). The others tend to leak after a few years and using straight silicone RTV is tedious to clean up next time.

Pulled the motor in about 2 hours, mostly due to old bolts, got it back in in about an hour. Drivers side motor mount toast, ordered a new one. Probably going to need a high pressure line for the power steering as well. Sigh- but it is all good. I am building up a 225 that will be going in, and now I have a really good idea of what to get before I do it- going to repaint the engine compartment when it's out again.

-
Back