Changing the fuel tank sending unit.

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
I changed out the fuel tank sending unit on my 74 Duster this morning and it is leaking (alot) from around the rubber seal.
Is there something special I failed to do when I reinstalled it?

I bought the sending unit from Napa and it came with a new rubber seal and new retaining ring.

Are you sure you turned the retaining ring enough to make a tight seal?
Also, make sure it is leaking around the rubber seal and not possibly around
the tube that penetrates through the sending unit. I could be leaking around the tube and dripping down to the bottom. Finally, make sure the thin round metal plate is absolutely flat - maybe it has a dent or is uneven around its edge.

Jerry

Did you grease the rubber ring with Vaseline? This keeps the ring from twisting out of place when you cinch down the retaining ring. Learned that one the hard way.

Take a close look at that new retaining ring. Is it a thinner material. I'll reuse the original sometimes and tighten it all the way to the stops every time. Hope this helps.

It is definately coming from around the seal

I will compare the new and old seals and grease the fat one. LOL:cheers:

I did not grease the new one, but I did think later it might be like the rubber seal on a oil filter. I will pull it all back apart when I get home this morning.

Thanks alot fellas.

I Alaways use the new rubber seal and which ever steel locking ring that is thickest.

It is definately coming from around the seal

I will compare the new and old seals and grease the fat one. LOL:cheers:

I did not grease the new one, but I did think later it might be like the rubber seal on a oil filter. I will pull it all back apart when I get home this morning.

Thanks alot fellas.

Those retaining rings are often not exactly right-sized - a little too small in diameter - to where one tab will slip off the ring competely resulting in a leak. You gotta be real careful to get all three tabs engaged securely. Also, I use a sealant on both sides of the ruber gasket just to make sure.

If you are using a punch to tighten the ring make sure it is brass.

Brass = No spark = No boom !!!!!

Just don't get carried away and dust it with flour
.:toothy7:LOL.
I'm going to attemp it as soon as I wake up a little. I'll let you know how it goes.

I pulled it all back apart and it looked like the inner circle was a little bigger around than on the old one.
I put some oil on the old one and reused it and it seemed to work.

I Just got back a minute ago from Fort Hood. I drove the Duster up there to pick up my son for the weekend (he's in the Army) and it didn't leak a drop. It was about a 300-350 mile trip, so it was a good test.8)

Thank you all for your help!!!!:cheers:

Ft. Hood !! I'm just about 40 miles east of there. The earthwork contractor I work for does a lot of work there. We're just now finishing a two-year project - Digital Multipurpose Training Range - where the armored vehicles practice shooting at pop-up targets. We're also working on a Scout Training Range for small arms fire and sniper training.

Your profile says "south Texas", so where are you? Glad you may have finally gotten the leak fixed.

Jerry

I am down here in San Antonio. I drive the Duster to work all the time but it is only about 20 minutes. It has never been so far from home before.8)

My son and I trailered his '74 Dart Sport down to my brother's place in Spring, just north of Houston a couple of years ago. We then drove it a little over an hour farther south to Houston Raceway Park in Baytown. That's the longest drive it has been on since we rebuilt it - now over 18,000 miles on the clock. We keep talking about stretching its legs and going for a longer cruise, but just haven't gotten up the nerve.
icon10.gif

On my scamp, the tank leaked when i got it, the previous owner had replaced the tank, but didnt seal it good. I could never get it to seal correctly, so i couldnt fill it up more than 1/4 anyway.

I just took it off one day, poured the cas into a can, cleaned it and sealed it and put the tank back in, filtered the gas through a laundry sheet, and its been fine. The jet doesnt even get clogged by gunk anymore.

-
Back