Charcoal Canister Help

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
So a while ago I asked about how to completely remove the charcoal canister on my 73 dart, but after hearing responses I learn't that its a good idea to keep it. But there are three lines that are hooked up to it, one from the fuel tank, one that goes to the carb as a vacuum line. But the third line is what I'm not sure about. I was reading on the site below and it shows the PCV line capped off. That line was just disconnected and the hose went to the lower radiator mount and wasn't capped off or anything. (I got the car like that)

Can I hook up the fuel line hose and the vacuum line to the canister and have the PCV line capped off as seen in the picture? I think I'm going to just run valve cover breathers instead of a PCV anyways. Or do all of those lines have to be hooked up?

http://www.allpar.com/fix/fuel/evaporation-control.html

Best thing to do is refer to the shop manual. We recently had a 73 shop manual show up for download, end of this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

Read the fuel section, and section 25. See page 25-26.

Vent line to tank

Vent line to carb fuel bowl

Canister purge line (vacuum)

If you decide to strip it out the main thing you need to watch is that the line to the tank must remain, in some form, as a vent, or you must construct a vent in some form.

Yep, every year seems to be a little different. In 73, all three nipples on the canister were used. In 74, there wasn't a bowl vent on the carb and the third nipple on the canister was capped.

i had mine capped off at the canister.fumes were really bad.the line comming from the tank to the canister was the only one connected the other 2 had caps on them,therefor venting the tank in the engine compartment.i hooked one of the capped off ones to the vaccume port on the carb,which pulled the fumes out of the tank and out the exhaust.no more gas fumes

Thanks for the links to the manuals! Great info!

But I'm putting in a 360 with a 4 barrel in the place of the 2 barrel 318. Does the carb even have provisions to run the charcoal canister? The carb is a Holley 650 vacuum secondary, has one vacuum line and a PVC.

-
Back