Charcoal Canister..............

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Working on a 70's Dart with A/C and a 318......... The owner would like to keep the engine bay as original..........BUT, the 318 has already been worked over a bit with a 4 BBL. setup, SO it's not really too original already.....

I'm not dead sure about the original "charcoal canister" system..... Has a hook-up for the gas tank, which if I remember correctly, acted as a vent of sorts on these models when the vacuum lines were all still hooked up....BUT, not sure whether it serves a purpose other than simple air filtration of sorts when you get down to brass tacks........

Would any of you guys opt to hook up all of the lines as it was originally (Carb Vacuum, PVC, Gas Tank, and Distributor Vacuum), OR just scrap it altogether?........and if it's scrapped, what about the line from the gas tank?

How about a little input............. Seems like a waste of good vacuum to me, with little benefit.........This is not a 100 point show car......just a cruiser.

Thanks guys.............. Doc

The idea behind the canister is for the capture of fuel fumes. As so not to poluite the air. Just putting a line on it is fine. I do not know if it will leak in the event of a roll over, but the line into the canister could help in that event I think.
I gotta keep tuned to this.

I left my canister in place and hooked up my tank vent line to the canister. Then ran a vacuum line from the canister to the carb. I figured the canister was used to vent off fuel tank pressure and fumes, so why not hook it back up. That being said, I don't have any other emission lines run in the engine compartment (and my '75 Dart had a lot). I don't think the canister adds any clutter or takes away from my detailed engine. My .02 worth.

Hey....I appreciate everyone's 2 cents on this one........

It would seem a good idea to use it as intended for the fuel tank, BUT I wish I knew exactly what benefit it gave..... IF it served as an active vent, I would definitely hook it back up.....

My problem with it is that there are 3 other lines....Naturally, the Carb is the active Vacuum...... I do not know the inner workings or bafflings of the charcoal cannister to judge whether or not the fuel fume vent/filter would be compromised if the PVC and/or Distributor Vacuum were left plugged-off.........I can't figure why the Distributor would even come into play here anyway, to be honest..........

I definitely need more input........ (at the risk of sounding like "Johnny Five"...........)

-
Back