Charging Problem

-

PolarBear

Reaction score
I have a charging problem and I'm not sure how to diagnose it.

During normal daylight driving conditions, the ammeter guage in my 65 Barracuda indicates the battery charging rate is "stable" - that is, the needle is centered between the charge and discharge regions. I can drive all day long and the battery stays charged.

When I use the turns signals, however, the needle mimics the blinking turn signals - simultaneously dropping into the discharge region then rebounding to the "stable" position - tink, tink, tink, tink, etc., etc.......

And when I turn the headlights on, the needle noticeably drops - and stays - in the discharge region. If I continue to drive with the headlights on, the battery will gradually run down - after a couple of hours, it's virtually depleted.

I think the ammeter guage is working correctly. I have installed a new alternator, alternator belt, regulator, and headlight switch - all of which have improved the situation a bit, but not solved it.

What is causing this drain? Is it a wiring issue?

what to check... bulk head connections at fusable link, etc..,clean and tighten all battery cable ends and the ground strap at the fiewall.
You may need to bypass that amp gauge. They are a weak link and will limit current flow.

On my 65 Barracuda the ammeter also toggled from charge to discharge (making my headlights dim then get bright) when I turned on the head lamps, which is widely attributed to the mechanical (relay) voltage regulator in the charging system. I upgraded to a dual field 60 amp alternator which uses a solid state regulator and have never had a problem since. You may be able to change just the mechanical regulator to a solid state regulator.

-
Back