Charging questions

-

Ebrod13

Reaction score
I just bought a 1971 dodge dart. It is a 400 big block in it. the last own put fog lights on, after market stereo, electric fan that pull alot. so far through the day havent had a problem with the charging system. took to a cruise night tonight. at stop lights or stop signs with all the lights on and the fan running. the car idles down and dies at stops. i have to remove the fan relay to get started because i dont have the power to turn it over otherwise. Thinking that i need to install a larger amp alt. if so what amp do i get plus i red something about having to remove the stock amp gauge because of fires!!!! Well how the hell do i do that? Plus should i install a switch on the fan?

Without knowing more about your fan setup, it would be only a guess as to a switch. There's a relay you say, so put a switch in the fan trigger line.

Please read the MAD article which has a very good writeup on the problems with factory wiring and oversize alternators

EDIT the website seems to be down. Google "Mad electrical" and look for the article on bypassing ammeters.

The main problems are the poor terminals in the bulkhead connector, the possible failure of the ammeter and ammeter terminals, and generally too-small wire for very large alternators.

A larger amp alternator will not help, but dealing with the charging system and electrical supply will.
You are in good hands with 67Dart273.

-
Back