Chart for various stock advance curves

-

volaredon

Reaction score
Does such a thing exist? I know that between a 318 in a heavy truck and a 340 in a light A body that the factory changed this. I also know that in a given year factory service manual they gave specs for distributors used "that" year. I have a few factory service manuals but not every year. I also have a few SB distributors that have come from swap meets, etc. .
Is there a "one place lists all" where I can stab in a PN and it'll spit out what years used and what they were supposed to be tuned to from the factory?

You may want to speak with someone with a LOT of experience about this before you go off and re-curve a distributor back to "stock", and then call 'er good. Why?

I'm working on a '71 VG Valiant from Oz with a 318 (think '69 Dart, if that helps), and the original distributor was all but worn-out. Now, in Australia, in order to meet "local content" regulations, they used Lucas distributors Back in the Day, and before I did a little digging around on this thing, I was thinking, "Where am I going to find any info on a Lucas distributor, from Oz, from 1971?" (Bazza, the vehicle owner, wants to keep the car as OEM as possible).

As luck would have it, turns out that "The Lucas Guy" here in the States runs his shop about 30 minutes south of where I work (Advanced Distributors, LLC), so I got him on the phone...

Long story short: When I dropped-off the original distributor with him, I also gave him several pages of photocopies I had taken right out of the original Shop Manual, thinking they would be helpful. He said (in summary) that the mechanical info would be helpful, but as for the advance curves- unless I wanted the car to run like **** (his exact words), there was no way he would curve that distributor, with those numbers, knowing the car was going to be running on today's gas.

In other words, if the engine is stock, what worked back then most likely isn't going to work now.

Or at least not very well.

Just my $.02 worth.

Jim

Maybe it isn't the best idea to run any particular stock distributor in my engine. But it would be nice to know where I'm starting from....
Most people never touched their distributor except for replacing points and condenser ,(if it applies) plus cap n rotor if they did anything with their car at all (besides drive it) so most likely whatever it left the factory at, is probably where it will be set to when I pick up just any random distributor.

Stock curves are listed in the various service manuals, which you can download from MyMopar for free. "Back in the day" you could get tune up charts from the popular ignition parts manufacturers such as Echlin, Standard Blue Streak, and others. AND the old Motor Manuals (the big usually blue cover books) had them. BUT CAVEAT!!!! Traditionally, distributor curves are listed as DISTRIBUTOR degrees, and NOT crank degrees!!! This means they are half the crank figures

I have 2 SB ones fairly handy. (I'm not home right now though) if I post them here can someone tell me what they were originally used in?

Look up 67-68 curves, anything newer starts to get "smoggy."

Here's a governor slot length to degree chart. Includes both crank and distributor (cam) degrees. I needed 10 degrees, so I had to kinda shoot from the hip. I used a protractor and measured 5 degrees at the distributor and welded and filed the slots accordingly.
Cam Crank Slot length

6° 12° 0.340"

7° 14° 0.357"

8° 16° 0.375"

9° 18° 0.390"

10° 20° 0.405"

11° 22° 0.420"

12° 24° 0.435"

13° 26° 0.447"

14° 28° 0.460"

15° 30° 0.475"

16° 32° 0.490"

17° 34° 0.505"

18° 36° 0.520"

I believe the 2 that I can most easily put my hands on are 72-73, have to dig for the other 2 that I have

Ok finally getting back to this/ didn't realize I wouldn't be able to find replacement collars for the shaft anymore, so I had to wait for the mailman to bring me some from Halifax hops.

Dist#1 3656763
Dist#2 3656435
Can anyone tell me what they were originally used in?
What the original specs they were set to?

I believe the 2 that I can most easily put my hands on are 72-73, have to dig for the other 2 that I have
Re-read. You can download them for FREE at MyMopar.com

You could easily print out the "specs" page back in section 8, just the 1 or 2 relevant pages of each manual from, say, 63 ish on up through 73 ish

Ok finally getting back to this/ didn't realize I wouldn't be able to find replacement collars for the shaft anymore, so I had to wait for the mailman to bring me some from Halifax hops.

Dist#1 3656763
Dist#2 3656435
Can anyone tell me what they were originally used in?
What the original specs they were set to?
318-2 3656763 AT/MT all 1973

Anything on the 2nd one? Is either one "decent" as built stock?
One of those will be going into a currently still stock 78 b body fury w/a318.
I do have plans for eventually a mild cam, with a 4bbl transplant as well as a compression boost courtesy of a set of 302 heads.

copy

Image (4)1973.jpg

-
Back