Chassis Dyno Questions

-

danmc77

Reaction score
Never used a dyno, and really don't know much about the whole process of dyno-tuning.

I just recently got my 68 Charger back on the road. While it runs real nice, I'd love to have it professionally tuned to run as well as possible. Not to mention, I'd be curious to see what kind of power my home build is putting out.

What's involved in terms of process and $$ to get a car dynoed? Do they typically swap out jets and springs and so forth to tune it for you? Do I need to bring anything other than my car? I assume it's better to go with guys that actually know Mopars?

Finally, does anybody know of any good Mopar tuners with a dyno in the SE PA (Philly/Allentown/Reading) area?

Thanks.

It's pretty basic... They tie the car down, and hook up some basic equipment. If you want a reliable tune they will need to use an A/F meter that will need a bung welded to each clooector or head-pipe. That's the best way. If you have assortments of jets, metering rods, advance tuning stuff, etc, bring them. If not, you'll be buying what they have if they need to change anything. It is usually a set figure for so many pulls, then "$x" per hour of tuning. The car will need time to cool down after pulls so budget for it. Remeber dyno are simple cool tools. Nothing more. Also, I would not book time until it warms up again. If you tune it now it will be perfect until April...

Thanks Moper. Do you know of any product available to fine tune carb/engine at home? I have no problem welding a couple bungs to the collectors. I've rebuilt several engines and have been playing with cars and motors for about 15 years now, but I never feel like they're tuned right. I also see other cars at shows that idle nice, startup real nice, and don;t smell rich and make your eyes burn:-D

I'd love to be able to drive my car to work on occasion and not smell like exhuast for the rest of the day.

Just keep in mind that the tune that made the best power might not be the tune that is the most drivable. The dyno doesn't really tell you how your car will act in traffic or on a day to day basis. Nothing against dynos and I wouldn't mind putting my toy on one, but friends of mine have swore off them and strictly test then tune. Also some dyno makes give lower or higher results I think mustang dynos are known to be a little low.

-
Back