Cheap and easy fix that got my wagon up and running again!

-

valiantwagon

Reaction score
After driving my Valiant wagon home the other night, I found it was leaking fuel from the sending unit in the front of the gas tank. I pulled it apart and found the sending unit gasket had seen its last day of usefullness.

After an unsuccessful trip to the Oreilly's down the street for some sort of thick rubber gasket material, I went to the hardware store and started scanning the shelves for something to make a gasket out of.
What I found was a toilet flapper repair valve kit (price $2.99). The O.D. was about dead on, just needed to trim it up with a pair of nail scissors to the proper I.D.
Seems to be holding fine, I soaked a piece of the flapper material I did not use in some gas overnight, it did not seem to be affected by it.

Hope this may help someone out. The car would have been down for a few days waiting for one to come in. Attached are some pictures of the original gasket along with the flapper, before and after.

Attachments

• 20130311_200118.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 20130311_200631.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 199
Are you flush with excitement to be back on the road? ;-)

Good work, man!

Your flushing cash,on your project!(lol!). Seriously ,using common sense,Kudos to you.

Just checked with the local dealer, the gasket is still available, went ahead and ordered one for a spare. Dealer wasn't sure how much longer they will be available. The quick fix still got me out of a bind!

If your car starts to run like **** I think I know the cause!! Good to see that we can still use our wits to get us out of trouble.

With my luck everything would be fine until I close the trunk and walk away.

I would go ahead and replace it now, if it was me...I can't see that gasket being long-term fuel compatible.

Edit: I'd hate to see another failed gasket flush a nice cruise down the toilet.

I would go ahead and replace it now, if it was me...I can't see that gasket being long-term fuel compatible.

Edit: I'd hate to see another failed gasket flush a nice cruise down the toilet.

I don't know. That gasket is made to handle some tough ****.

-
Back