cheap complete quarter panels?

-

aaronb

Reaction score
i was just wondering where to find some complete quarter panels for my 73 dart swinger? For the best price fo course :)

i was just wondering where to find some complete quarter panels for my 73 dart swinger? For the best price fo course :)

imo don't buy the cheapest buy the best you'll get that money back in quality and time. I mean I'm sure jcwhitney.com still sells replacement panels and iirc they were like 100 bucks a panel but their complete garbage.

from everything i read AMD has the best stuff out there. the guys that have used both the older cheaper stuff and the AMD all say they will never us the cheap stuff again. they say the cheaper ones all took a ton more work then the AMD which in the long run makes the cheap ones more expensive.

http://www.autometaldirect.com/ShowItem/101018 72-76 Dart Quarter Panel Left.aspx

Yup. The hours into making the cheap ones work will offset the cost. You figure that any good quarter will take 12-15 hours to put on, from the time you take the spot weld drill to the old quarter to the time the new one goes into primer. Figure a cheap one will be 20-25 hours. If you're doing it yourself you might look at that as no big deal since you're giving yourself the labor. I diagree, since that time can be used in other areas of the project. Now if you're paying shop labor rates at around $50 an hour that can be $400-$650 difference.
Then you take a look at the investment. Someone comes to buy your car if you're ever forced to sell and because you took the less expensive way out on parts and the fit and finish shows it (skin line inside the quarter, not quite lined up at the jamb area, etc.) you might wind up costing yourself thousands off the back end to save yourself a few hundred now.
Sorry for long dissertation, but I used to have to explain this to customers. I had one guy who was wanting to go with cheap skins on an SCJ Mustang instead of looking for good used (at the time) because he proclaimed the good used (I found them at $650 a piece) to be too expensive compared to the $100 jip skins. Until he saw the estimate of what it would take to make the jip skins look like they are actually original...

I got a set, right and left quarters from AMD for my 71' demon. I'll be putting them on next week. They look great. I'm really happy with them. Price wasn't bad, and they shipped 2 quarters and 2 trunk extentions and 2 end caps, for the same price as one quarter. I'll buy from them again

there is a thread on here about specials from AMD. Login name is fabo and the password is du$ter I was at a reputable Mopar resto shop and all they use is AMD. Thicker gauge steel and they are coming out with more repo pieces every day.
Steve

Yup, AMD quarters are awesome. But I sure don't know about 12-15 hours from the first spot-weld to primer. I'm about 12-15 in and I still can't get my old quarter off. Spot-welds are killing me. Just hoping I don't mangle the rest of the metal too bad trying to get it off. AMD stuff is sweet though!

-
Back