Cheap headers that work with PS

-

mhuppertz

Reaction score
The cheap Summit headers ($130) don't work with power steering. The Hedmans ($160) don't mention PS. Anyone have any personal experience with cheapies and PS?

Says who? I've used the Summit headers with P/S more than once in a 67-72 A body.

Ok. They say lots of other things that aint right too.

Hooker Comps in a '70 with PS. Fits great. There were notes and diagrams regarding having to modify auto trans linkage. Not on the '70, maybe an earlier model?

[ame]http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/500/520/520-5901.pdf[/ame]

Yeah! I have seen Hookers installed and the drivers side hangs way low! My car is dropped 2 inches in the front and I know it wont go into my driveway!

Yeah! I have seen Hookers installed and the drivers side hangs way low! My car is dropped 2 inches in the front and I know it wont go into my driveway!
All cheap headers hang way low , if you're dropped 2" then forget them , you'll have 2 " of clearance . TTI or Dougs have the best clearance .

All cheap headers hang way low , if you're dropped 2" then forget them , you'll have 2 " of clearance . TTI or Dougs have the best clearance .

x2!! I have Hookers on my Dart.. if you need ground clearance, the cheapies are not the way to go.. I would agree with the TTI or Dougs..

I run the cheap Summit headers on my 74 Dart Sport w/PS and they work just fine. I did have to ding one tube slightly to clear the steering coupler. I have around 7-8 inches of ground clearance at the collector with 14 inch tires. I can get to all of the plugs easily and haven't had any issues with burning the wires.

I run the cheap Summit headers on my 74 Dart Sport w/PS and they work just fine. I did have to ding one tube slightly to clear the steering coupler. I have around 7-8 inches of ground clearance at the collector with 14 inch tires. I can get to all of the plugs easily and haven't had any issues with burning the wires.

What about the ground clearance at the front tubes on the drivers side? Can we get pics? I've also been debating what headers to buy for a while now.

THANKS! Just the info I was looking for!

Your Dart must sit high , 7-8" sounds like a lot , my car is stock and with hookers it sat 4 " -5" from header pipe to ground , it got pancaked . Wish I'd have taken pics when I took them off .
Cheap headers fit , but ground clearance , forget it
Let me add , if your roads are smooth , and you don't have many of those speed bumps you should be okay with the cheap headers .

Mine used to hang low and hit but that was with small 14" tires and the torsion bars dialed down way to low. I'm not sure the torsion bars were actually holding anything up just the LCA and bump stops. Now that I have 15s and the suspension up it has never hit even on some big dips and bumps. Still I'm almost sitting on the bump stops (which everything on the front end is brand new) because I like it low. Mine were from Jets but I think they are the same as Summit.

do not buy cheap headers you wont be happy some will say there fine but anyone that knows knows different tti dougs or hooker all fit and last good. if your short on cash use factory iron and save your money up.

I disagree, I'm 100% happy with the fit and especially the performance and price of the $100 ones. I have seen plenty of threads on similar fitment problems with TTIs and Dougs. Its not just the initial cost but also an extra $100 for a mini starter on the others. Maybe its no big deal for some but $500 is a ton of money in my world when it comes to a hobby.

I run Hooker Comps on my '73 teener w/ PS & although they dont tuck up as nice as Doug's, I'm as happy as a fat kid with cake. I'm not sure I would choose them if I were running a 2" drop on a 14" wheel, though.

I am using the Headman cheepies on my 67 Dart and am happy with the fit. I have an auto with floor shift so linkage is not an issue. Ride height is standard but am carefull going over dips or speed humps.

i doubt anyone can tell if any set of headers will fit right without trying them on the actual car when it comes to these cars. it may alot more to do with how drunk the workers at the factory where the day the car was built and how the car was threated in the 40 years following.

i doubt anyone can tell if any set of headers will fit right without trying them on the actual car when it comes to these cars. it may alot more to do with how drunk the workers at the factory where the day the car was built and how the car was threated in the 40 years following.

Certainly some truth in what you say and even which plant it came out of.

I'm sure old rubber mounts vs. new or even poly's would make a difference too.

I am going to modify them anyway. I have PipeMax software and will lengthen the primary tubes and collectors to the optimal.

-
Back