cheap security

-

no1newb

Reaction score
i dont know if anyone else had this idea, but i have always been concerned that some one may try to steal my car. well i dont have the most money, and am saving up for an alarm, but for now i recently placed a switch inline with the wire going from my starter relay to my starter. so in order for the starter to turn over, the switch needs to be switched. i know its simple, but someone stealin a car wouldn't think to spend time lookin around, i would assume the battery was dying, so yeah. i thought it was a good idea and felt like sharing.

i've done that on two cars of mine. one was under the dash and the other was a foot switch hidden under the carpet. its a great idea

yeah. im real happy with the cheap and easy temp solution. mine i is hidden behind some aftermarket gauges under the dash. ive been tryin to think of other cheap ideas too but cant really think of anything.

let me know any other ideas

in my Duster, I had a switch for the electric fuel pump hidden at the e-brake handle.

(well, not really hidden, but not that noticable either)

lol great idea i was walk through a local salvation army and i found my cheap temp solution found me a real *the club for my cars steering wheel i know its cheesy but hey 50cents and it had the key o hell yeah!

He, he.

If you have enough time, you can get a switch panel with three to five rocker switches and wire them in such a way that you have to switch them in a certain combination to start the car.

Yes, a very cool idea if you have the time to mess around with it, and you can just tell everyone it controls "stuff." LOL.

I have a few hidden security measures myself.

I have wired my fuel pump into my map light switch..almost as good as disconnecting the choke linkage in the winter.

You can get keypads a la Transporter that you can wire to control a relay inline w/ your starter. Literally a 4-digit combination lock for your car. Problem is the keypads are a little tacky looking and you have to feed them constant power, which means another "on" switch just for that keypad.

Justin,
Just remember, there are 6 or 8 spare coil wires on every A-Body made.

I had a friend that found that out the hard way. He was lucky that the car had about a half a gallon of gas in it.
Cops found it about 6 miles away with the crooks working under the hood.

The keypad is called Autolok VIP and is around $60. It will take a 6digit PIN and can be used to switch a master solenoid for all the vehicle power. you turn the key on and the only thing that is live is the keypad.

ldk130.jpg

Justin,
Just remember, there are 6 or 8 spare coil wires on every A-Body made.

I had a friend that found that out the hard way. He was lucky that the car had about a half a gallon of gas in it.
Cops found it about 6 miles away with the crooks working under the hood.
good point, i guess the distributer rotor would be the next best thing. lol

I took my starter off, my wife has to push to bumb start it. :wav:

Switch can be a good idea.

But wont a good theif pop the hood run a jumper to the coil and jump the starter sol?
Just a question.....or don't they do it like this anymore?

I would use a disconnect for the battery that is run by a relay and switch.

You could always hook a magneto up to the body and give someone a shock!

-
Back