Cheap turbo

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
I was watching roadkill on youtube and they did a turbo Chevy v6 with a powerstroke turbo. I have to rebuild my engine as it is. What would be a good turbo to put on my engine hopefully I can get compression a 9.1 with a good head gasket. What do you guys think I am only want about 400 crank HP

Those are not big enough for a gas V8. Even though some of the diesels are as big or larger than a 360, the the diesels don't turn the kind of RPM the gas ones do.

Those are not big enough for a gas V8. Even though some of the diesels are as big or larger than a 360, the the diesels don't turn the kind of RPM the gas ones do.

Theoretically wouldn't it be good for low end power, spool up quick? and die out as the RPMs come up.

I bought a Chinese blueprint T70 turbo off eBay for $180. From the research I've done it should hold up nicely under low boost of less than 15 psi which is plenty for 400hp to the crank.

If I ran a turbo what kind of boost could I run with 93octan gas and water/meth injection with a 9.1 compression ratio.

The worst thing with running a turbo is all the little things add up quick , even with a cheaper turbo you will still need a good waste gate , a blow off valve all the hot and cold side tubing which really should be tig welded so you don't have to deal with slag ending up in your turbo, a good boost referenced ignition and fuel system boost referenced also with a carb built for boost so you wont lean out . Done right you would end up with quite a bit of money . I have always heard that whatever you think it will cost double that figure, and found that to be true.
Really if your goal is 400 hp , the cheapest way would be a stroker kit

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/10408416strokerdynotestingsept2002.php

If you do all ebay cheapy stuff it could be done for about 12 to 1500 but once you get hit with boost your gonna want more it gets addicting LOL I had a 94 Dakota that I but a stock I mean stock bottom end with off the shelf eddy heads I had all good waste gate and fuel pump,BOV it was blow through set up it went the best time with drag radials and 3.23s was a 10.90 on 93 octane but there all a lot of guys putting some good numbers down on low boost if your gonna do a SBM be aware they blow head gaskets between cylinders if going over 10lbs at least that is my experience good luck with your build!

Do you like it

Haven't spooled it up yet, making exhaust manifolds and building the top end of the 318 but it sure does look nice! The wastegate is where you don't want to go too cheap, I bought a Tial 38mm for $300 and a used Turbonetics BOV for $100

If I ran a turbo what kind of boost could I run with 93octan gas and water/meth injection with a 9.1 compression ratio.

That depends on a lot of factors. It's not so much "how much boost can I run" as it is how much boost can I safely run when I have a good tune and parts combo.

I love roadkill, but they never told us how much they REALLY dumped into that setup.

Expect to have $2,000-$2,500 into a setup doing it dirt cheap. I have a log filled with every single nickle and dime aspect you could imagine, my turbo and carb along with BRFPR along with a whole mess of turbo related parts only cost me $1,200 on the second hand market... I have around $3,000 in my setup now with a home built methanol injection kit.. better off to stick N/A if all you truly want is 400 crank HP.

-
Back