Cheaper Spray on sound deadener recipe

-

dodgedifferent2

Reaction score
I posted in a different thread but thought I should share with more viewers.
I used the lizardskin product as a sound deadener in my dart plus noico 80 mill sheets.

When I was looking for another pail of lizardskin I stumbled on to this thread about a homemade brew of spray on sound deadener.

Uses ceremic micro balloons.
images (1).jpeg

Now mix those with latex paint from your local hardware store. It can be a can of mistake color for cheaper and you have your own homebrew of lizardskin type sound deadener product.
I never used it so cant say how well it works but possibly will do on the next project.

Here is the thread I found.
alternative to Lizard Skin - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

When I was looking for another pail of lizardskin I stumbled on to this thread about a homemade brew of spray on sound deadener.

I never used it so cant say how well it works but possibly will do on the next project.

I did on a non-Mopar project. I used the product you pictured above (Insulating Paint Additive Makes Paint Insulate) and mixed it into Glidden Gripper, a latex primer/sealer product. I coated the fully painted floor (don't apply latex to bare metal!) of a pickup truck cab that traditionally gave me the hot foot treatment, courtesy full-length headers venting a stout big block Chevy.

I used just shy of a full gallon of the mixture, applying multiple coats by brush over a period of about 5 days - probably 7 or 8 separate coats, in order to build up a sufficient film thickness. I also used the Noico 80 sheets (from amazon) on top of it, which are a great economic alternative to brand-name products like Dynamat, but aren't the smelly asphalt based roofing materials that many DIY'ers use and frequently regret later.

Bottom line, the cab interior is noticeably cooler and quieter. I can't make any scientific comparisons between Lizardskin and the home brew concoction, but it seemed to work for me.

I know this is an old post but I thought I would share my experience. Home brewed my lizard skin with some old paint I had and some mirco ballons that I purchased from a boating supplies store. It actually exceeded my expectations. I have a dodgy patch panel on one part of the floor that was installed by a previous owner. They should have run some beads through it but didn't. As a result it has always been 'tinny'. I did three coats and found that the patch panel has much less noise coming through when tapped and also it seems to have a lot less flex. There is noticeably less noise coming through the entire floor. This is the way to go if you want to save some money and are prepared to DIY.

-
Back