Check out my car and talk to me about 318/340 swap

-
... this is not my experience. a motor needs compression,

Why must you guys do your stupid act on someone who is just learning. The OP just put an engine together, give him a break. He is not asking you clowns what he needs to run the quarter mile in 12 seconds.

as i've said i had a 318 with mild cam, 360 heads and a 4 barrel inlet/carb. it ran well so i'd happily do it again however the naysayers like to think otherwise. have any of them actually done it and driven it? probably not so obviously it 'can't' be done :poke::rofl:

340>318

Given exact same parts, compression ratios,. Ams etc. The 340 will win. And if you're building a motor anyhow you might as well start with the better of the two.

You gonna bolt that up to a 904? I figured anything bigger than a 340 would really need a 727 sitting under it.

I agree that there was a reason that Chrysler put a 727 behind 340s, but even more iffy behind a strong and relatively stock 340 is an 8 1/4 rear end. Putting a 340 in front of a 904 and 8 1/4 is asking for breakage down the line if you push the car (which you must if you know the 318 isn't enough power at this point). Yes you can spend a bunch of bucks and improve the 904, but I bet a 727 and driveshaft would cost less.

I also agree with 318willrun, that 318 should run a lot better given what you have put into it. I would think that it would be a good investment to start a new thread about what is holding that 318 back and see if you can't wake it up so that you are happy and keep the 340 for when you wear the 318 out.

Lighten up, it wasn’t a personal attack……clown.

Don't quote me and change my words. I don't need a stroker to go fast and never will. I build to stock class tolerances and use the good stuff. I have a 440 and a factory shot peened crank to go with it. Why would I waste money on some Chinese parts? Heck, I even have a 340 done on a stand and 2 more on shelves. Still the 273 is in the 66 Barracuda. Not sure how fast you think my car needs to be. Why is it that whenever 318 is mentioned, the clowns come out?

340>318

Given exact same parts, compression ratios,. Ams etc. The 340 will win. And if you're building a motor anyhow you might as well start with the better of the two.

Been beating larger motors all my life. Given the same compression, heads, cam, fuel, and exhaust, too close to call. Not worth thinking about. Build what you have and enjoy.

I understand the whole “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mindset. I do. The car is a really fun cruiser, but the 318 is REALLY slow. Like…the Kia Soul I drive to work every day will run off and leave it easy.

What cam is in the 318? What gears are in the rear?

Don't quote me and change my words. I don't need a stroker to go fast and never will. I build to stock class tolerances and use the good stuff. I have a 440 and a factory shot peened crank to go with it. Why would I waste money on some Chinese parts? Heck, I even have a 340 done on a stand and 2 more on shelves. Still the 273 is in the 66 Barracuda. Not sure how fast you think my car needs to be. Why is it that whenever 318 is mentioned, the clowns come out?

First off this post wasn't about you, how many motors you have, or what you can do with them. The OP was questioning about a 340 he had and was thinking about replacing his 318 with it.

I don't hate 318's, but have said many times I'd never use one in a performance build. Too many 360's out there.

I'm not sure where it turned into a 318 vrs 340 debate and the clowns came out, but it also brought out a jackass.

First off this post wasn't about you, how many motors you have, or what you can do with them. The OP was questioning about a 340 he had and was thinking about replacing his 318 with it.

I don't hate 318's, but have said many times I'd never use one in a performance build. Too many 360's out there.

I'm not sure where it turned into a 318 vrs 340 debate and the clowns came out, but it also brought out a jackass.

I know all of that. All I did was point out that there is no compession difference between 675 318 heads and milled J heads. I did not change your quote and say your car was slow. Back at you.

I know all of that. All I did was point out that there is no compession difference between 675 318 heads and milled J heads. I did not change your quote and say your car was slow. Back at you.

It was meant to be funny, hence the big smiley face. I don't have a clue if your car is fast or slow, if you're happy with it that all that matters.

Don't take your self so seriously.

Why don't ya tell us how you really feel?...:lol:

Last edited:
It was meant to be funny, hence the big smiley face. I don't have a clue if your car is fast or slow, if you're happy with it that all that matters.

Don't take your self so seriously.

We're good. I should never answer a post right off the bat unless it is a straight forward question.

I dunno, man it seems there are plenty of pissing match threads already on this...OP do with the 340..if it is a 68-71 thats the better one. However Id build a 72-73 over a 318 also just for the bore/heads...in fact I think a feller has a 73 340 long block for sale on here for a grand... now, not the desireable 340 but a good foundation for a LA small block build...Id throw in the early style pistons for sure, and heads..take the Js put 2.02s in them, then the cam...waid-a minute this what the 318 guys do...BUT it would be a 340 get it? same effort.

Last edited:
I dunno, man it seems there are plenty of pissing match threads already on this...OP do with the 340..if it is a 68-71 thats the better one. However Id build a 72-73 over a 318 also just for the bore/heads...

He already has 340 heads. Bore is no big deal.

Let me get this straight. The question is "I have a 340 that I could put in my 318 duster should I do it"? If that is the question the answer is yes. That was easy.

Now that ya mention it ,if I was the OP id do it and post a "comparison" thread saying if they noticed a difference...between the 318 and the 340. It could be any difference such as "the exhaust note sounded better " uh oh..I'm stirring the pot again.. can't help it I'll go now LOL!

This is literally the stupidest thread on the internet. Some of you must be unemployed or something. So much nonsense random *** misinformation and cracked out arguments taking place.

The 318 is a great engine. Underrated no doubt. Nobody is arguing otherwise.

The 340 is a more capable engine. It has a bigger cylinder. There's no other meaningful, appreciable difference. PERIOD. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

Any argument about miniscule difference in deck heights, heads, compression, what I did with my 318 vs other motors etc, is just random nonsense. Anyone in their right mind would FIX any such issues while building an engine.

Stop your little pissing contest because it just makes you look like stupid idiots. We're all Mopar guys here right? Fans of a bodies right? Stop being a loser. Get a life. Go play with your niche muscle car. That's what I'm going to do.

Blow it out your hiney-hole...:lol:

Trump Gif.gif

Last edited:
I like a good 318 340 whizzing match and I do realize there are alot of 'em on here...if anyone has ever torn both LA 318 and 340 down and set all the parts side by side, you'd realize there is a difference in just about all of the parts...

I like a good 318 340 whizzing match and I do realize there are alot of 'em on here...if anyone has ever torn both LA 318 and 340 down and set all the parts side by side, you'd realize there is a difference in just about all of the parts...
Maybe so, but basically the same measurement wise when it comes to stroke. Just the bore is different. Not talking about heads, cams, forged or cast crank PN# etc. Just short block dimensions. Bore and stroke. Plus how far in the hole the pistons reside at TDC. That last one means a lot. Stock 318 pistons sit pretty far in the hole at TDC.

-
Back