Check out this little afternoon vise project.

-
I found this by accident looking for more on Turk/ dragpack stuff. Never seen him before, he's not that old, my GAWD he has a tremendous skillset

Thats pretty amazing!! I bet the waterjet cost a million.

That vise must have cost $10,000 to build at machine shop rates for labor and steel.

A good vice is a must. THAT vice is awesome! That guy is multi-talented.

I remember back in the mid to late 1970's seeing an article (Popular Science, perhaps) and then a PBS special on waterjet technology.

IIRC they used the same jet to cut relatively thick steel and then to cut a slice of cake, not deforming the frosting at all.

That vise must have cost $10,000 to build at machine shop rates for labor and steel.

And that's way under IMO..... I bet the price for someone to design and prepare it for Manufacturing could easily be that number. This is something a person would want to make a run of to sell. That's a ton of work.

Awesome piece for sure...

JW

Ten years ago I had accumulated a nice assortment of machine tools and fabricating equipment. But I really didnt use the stuff as much as I thought I would so eventually it all went bye bye.

But I had some cool stuff.

A 1928 Buffalo mechanical iron worker stamped " Ford Motor Company 1928", a Fray "All Angle" four axis milling machine that had a stamp " US Navy 1943" and the name if the ship it was on. Also had a small Atlas tool room lathe marked "Harley Davidson Motor Company".

All I have left is a 1940's vintage Rockwell drill press that I've owned 20 years but never hooked up power to it!

Water Jet??? Our local HS shop has one, they will do work for a few $. Gives the kids a project, not just a fantacy . Our town is 1500 pop. and the county only has one traffic light.

-
Back