Checking out parts for the new Hemis...are you kidding me with these prices??

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Saw there was going to be a new Hemi shootout at the NMCA race in PA, so I thought I'd check out the supporting vendor's website (shophemi.com).

Cams $450-$500?

Carbureted intake manifold - $800

Really? I mean I'd understand if the thing either made power or had some "heritage" like the original, but give me a break. I thought the ford modular junk was expensive, and 3rd gen Chevy stuff is actually cheap (and fast).

I'll stick with my Magnum, thanks very much.

If you are talking about aftermarket parts keep in mind……

Development cost + Tooling cost + Manufacturing cost divided by the demand can make for some high priced stuff.

If you are talking about aftermarket parts keep in mind……

Development cost + Tooling cost + Manufacturing cost divided by the demand can make for some high priced stuff.

I don't buy it. The development, tooling, and manufacturing cost of a late model hemi intake manifold can't possibly be that much higher than those costs are for a Magnum 360.

Now, demand might be something else. The Hemi's haven't been around as long as the 5.2/5.9L Magnum, so they're aren't as many of them. But there's getting to be a lot more of them out there, just look at the production #'s (or your local wrecking yard). And they're both smog engines, so the market for aftermarket performance parts should be about the same.

I certainly don't see a reason that a carb manifold for a Hemi should cost $800. If anything, the market (demand) for Hemi swaps is being limited by the cost of the aftermarket swap parts, even more so than by the availability and cost of the engines.

Kinda turns your stomach huh?? Mine has been that way since I bought my 6.1 core and mocked it all up

The cost of a product usually has nothing to do with the price...the vendors are going to milk the newbie chally owners to make this pig go faster..and I betcha a lot of the buyers will..

Look at the cost of new electronics and how fast they depreciate but I do have a ford example..

Back in my university days we were talking the same thing...the prof has some documents on the cost of building two cars..the pinto and the Lincoln continental mark 4 (I think). ..difference in cost was less than 1500.00..but look at the price spread..

Trucks..cheapest to build..not even safe enough for car safety ratings..easy to build..LOTS of profit..

It is a supply/demand issue, not a cost + markup issue...

I had a 5.7L new hemi motor that just had dropped a valve but had the trans and computer, Thought about building it for my dart sport then I looked at prices on rebuild and parts and decided on my 440 :) SOld the motor transmission and computer and that covered a good lot of my parts for the 440 build

Yep, when I build my aluminum block I expect to pay close to $20,000 intake to pan (that's why I haven't built it yet!).

This is why I decided EFF the new "hemi".
I own one in an srt300 and it's a piece of crap.
Same thing for the trans behind it.

I would much rather have an oldschool smallblock.

The new 5 liter mustang motor is an awesome setup. With very little those cars can run easy 10s.

And you don't even get an aluminium block like you do with the LS motors. Got to pay extra for that.

Saw there was going to be a new Hemi shootout at the NMCA race in PA, so I thought I'd check out the supporting vendor's website (shophemi.com).

Cams $450-$500?

Carbureted intake manifold - $800

Really? I mean I'd understand if the thing either made power or had some "heritage" like the original, but give me a break. I thought the ford modular junk was expensive, and 3rd gen Chevy stuff is actually cheap (and fast).

I'll stick with my Magnum, thanks very much.

Prices are a function of supply and demand. If the supply is limited then the prices go up. Right now its a sellers market for new hemi stuff so the buyers pay more.

But I don't know what manifold you were looking at but you can get a Edelbrock RPM Dual Quad intake for the 5.7/6.1 from ShopHemi.com for $396 or the Modman intake from Indy for $399 with your choice of a single 4bbl, dual quad or six-pak top. That compares to up to Mopar Performance Dual Quad 426 Hemi intake at $514 or Single Plane for $649 from Mancini.

This is why I decided EFF the new "hemi".
I own one in an srt300 and it's a piece of crap.
Same thing for the trans behind it.

There are 1,000+ HP machines built around the 3rd gen hemi... I don't know if I could call it a piece of crap. The one thing you can't do it his it with any significant boost, the stock pistons are SUPER sensitive to lean conditions and knocking

There are 1,000+ HP machines built around the 3rd gen hemi... I don't know if I could call it a piece of crap. The one thing you can't do it his it with any significant boost, the stock pistons are SUPER sensitive to lean conditions and knocking

There are 1500 hp cavalier motors. lol
No lies...I can prove it.

For what you get compared to what you pay for in the 3d gen "hemi", it's a piece of ****.

That's why I compared it to an oldschool smallblock. Because an oldschool smallblock for the same money will rape it HARD, and so will the 5 liter mustang engine mentioned above.

Nothing personal, just the facts. and yes, I agree they come with junk for pistons too.

i see the point here but lets not forget that if you plan on doing serius power,lets say 1000hp then you would probably start to feel that the modern hemi is a gift compared to an old style smallblock, just the design of the block and mainstructure seems to be very well thought out for stuff like this,they also have heads that move some air compared to most smallblocks, just have a good look at what you have to pay for any W series headed smallblock when its all said and done with a block that can actualy take the power for a while. and i dont realy care for the GM aluminum block i have read alot about people who just wont build a real mean LS motor with the stock aluminum block due to the fact that the iron blocks being much stronger

GM aluminum block i have read alot about people who just wont build a real mean LS motor with the stock aluminum block due to the fact that the iron blocks being much stronger

Thats not true. People build 1000-1400+HP LS motors all the time. Go to www.ls1tech.com. They will put a stud gurdle on them and pin the main caps and stuff llike that and there good to go. Or if you want stronger you can get a C5R block. My dads motor is almost done. It is a C5R block with aftermarket LS7 heads and a whipple charger. Should make 1000HP on pump gas and 1200 on race. It is to bad Mopar cant or wont get its act together so I could talk him into a mopar motor.

Thats not true. People build 1000-1400+HP LS motors all the time. Go to www.ls1tech.com. They will put a stud gurdle on them and pin the main caps and stuff llike that and there good to go. Or if you want stronger you can get a C5R block. My dads motor is almost done. It is a C5R block with aftermarket LS7 heads and a whipple charger. Should make 1000HP on pump gas and 1200 on race. It is to bad Mopar cant or wont get its act together so I could talk him into a mopar motor.

im learning all the time from alot of sources:) thanks for the link! there is a ton of knowledge to find as long as one is alitle openminded:)
my next motor will probably be a twinscrew modern hemi by the way :)

Yeah, you've gotta love an lsx TRUCK that runs 8s.
There are no gen3 hemis doing that. And sure as hell no one doing it with a dodge truck.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXlHtYXpJTs&feature=related"]YouTube- flacos truck running 8's[/ame]

And I agree with you on mopar not getting it's act together.
This could have been possible if mopar would stop making a decent motor and then putting one or two crap parts in it to mess it all up.

This is why they lag behind ford and GM these days.

I love mopars, dont get me wrong, but the truth is the truth.

2.5 years...and I get my inheritance. Mark my words, the POS dakota is putting that guy down! Too bad I wont be using a gen3 hemi to do it though.

Yeah it gets me when people talk about how much they "save" on fuel with a new sports car, yet they shell out 3 times as much for it, LOL

yeah i agree. People and governments make such a huge deal about buying new "ultra economical, low emission" plastic junk and pile the **** on us guys with the 70's muscle cars for being heavy gas-guzzling dinosaurs, but they quickly forget the incredible amount of raw materials, electricity and all the associated pollution and toxic waste that is involved in making each part of that new car from scratch. Our hobby is, largely, recycling in its purest form. These cars were made up to 42 years ago, they are often lighter in weight than the equivalently sized Ford, Chrysler and GM of today with far less things to go wrong and less toxic mess when scrapped or crushed, mainly glass, metal rubber and vinyl. These new cars have so much plastic and electronics in them, which is VERY polluting (heavy metals)when finally leached into the ground

yep...ford and chevy are WAY ahead of mopar in every aspect...sad, but true...and that 5.0 for 7 grand is a killer deal...i should put one in my dart. LOL BWAH HA HA

Yeah, I drove mine 60 miles to the drag strip, trunk loaded with golf clubs, cooler, lawn furniture etc., gas tank almost full, and it went 13.90 with little traction, after getting 28.6 mpg on the way there.

I find it to be an absolute rip to own, it can be whatever you want it to be, baddass, or a mild mannered luxo cruiser. I wouldn't change much, except the access to the back seat.

-
Back