Checking torque converter out of car ? non lock up converter

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
I know there is a way to check a 727 converter by using snap ring plyers . Just not sure what I'm doing. Ican spin the large spline in the converter one way/ then it locks the other way. The small spline I can spin both directions without any trouble/resistance . Does this sound right ?
Can a bad converter stop the flow of fluid ? I mean STOP THE FLOW OF FLUID ? there is no fluid pumping through the tranny lines.

I know there is a way to check a 727 converter by using snap ring plyers . Just not sure what I'm doing. Ican spin the large spline in the converter one way/ then it locks the other way. The small spline I can spin both directions without any trouble/resistance . Does this sound right ?
Can a bad converter stop the flow of fluid ? I mean STOP THE FLOW OF FLUID ? there is no fluid pumping through the tranny lines.
Sounds right, that’s all I’ve ever known as to checking one. Short of cutting it open and inspecting about the only thing you can do is fill it with solvent of some sort to rinse it out into a clean pan a few times to make sure it’s clean, maybe your pump is suspect or the valve body pump circuit? Have you referred to the service manual or another manual?

That sounds more like a pump issue than a torque converter issue. 65'

That sounds more like a pump issue than a torque converter issue. 65'
Checked pump...looked fine. Best friend built this trans (trans man most of his life . Died Jan 2020. I'm caught in the middle/ just trying to install and get car moving.

Does the input shaft have the same number of splines as the converter? What years are y working with? Kim
Not sure of number of splines / did not know the could be different . 1962 Chrysler 300. Has 383 and Aluminium 727 with cable /push button shifter/ and rear parking brake drum.

Sounds right, that’s all I’ve ever known as to checking one. Short of cutting it open and inspecting about the only thing you can do is fill it with solvent of some sort to rinse it out into a clean pan a few times to make sure it’s clean, maybe your pump is suspect or the valve body pump circuit? Have you referred to the service manual or another manual?
I was going to check out valve body next.

1962-1965 727 trans had a small spline. Big spline was introduced in 1965, but not on all models. It sounds like you are using the 62 trans. If you are using a torque converter for the 65 or later trans, the input splines are not engaging.

As stated above, make sure the input shaft is the same spline count as the torque converter. I had this same issue with an early 904. It turned out that the torque converter was not engaging with the input shaft. 65'

Same thing happened to me. It sucked as I was all finished with an engine swap. All together and no transmission engagement. Count the splines on the input shaft and the torque converter.

Thanks guys. I will check the splines. Probably thats the problem. Tim was a great transmission man. I miss him everyday. Like I said I'm just trying to finish one of his jobs...I must have grabbed the wrong converter.

If you do have a spline mismatch, there are two options.
1) use the correct converter, or if not available.
2) change the input shaft to the later piece.

I have done that on 904's but never personally done it on a 727. I know number 2 can be done, but I do not know what (if any) related parts are required.

The converter splines match the pump/stator. I took the VB apart, and found the "regulator valve" stuck in the VB. Got it loose and sanded with 400 grit. Now it moves freely. Go the trans back in, Will be able to fill it back up on Wednesday and see if it works, Fingers crossed

-
Back