Chevy carb on a dodge?

-

lud

Reaction score
I have a 1985 318, found a 4 barrel intake. Was wondering if a 4 barrel carb off of a chevy will work for this application?

I have a 1985 318, found a 4 barrel intake. Was wondering if a 4 barrel carb off of a chevy will work for this application?
It may have had a Quadrajet on it. Chrysler used them.

yes is the short answer. What intake did you buy and what chevy carb?

Your car will never know what carb is sitting on it. As always, it should be sized "correctly" and tuned for your application. If you really know what you are doing, you can stretch the limits on using carbs that are "too big" or "too small" for your application but I don't think that's going to be your case.

My 73 with probably 85ish stuff on it.
20230524_195634.jpg

20230524_195544.jpg

20230524_195533.jpg

Your car will never know what carb is sitting on it. As always, it should be sized "correctly" and tuned for your application. If you really know what you are doing, you can stretch the limits on using carbs that are "too big" or "too small" for your application but I don't think that's going to be your case.
I'm not very inclined when it comes to carbs, I can turn the idle up and down, I can unjust the air and fuel mixture until it sounds right... but that's it... my father tho, is very inclined, he can take em apart and peice em back together, rebuild em and if it dont sound right to him he can tell ya exactly what the problem is. I could have asked him but he's asleep and I'm gunho and curious. Anyways I do not know the carb, I just know we have a 650cfm and a 750cfm (both 4 barrels) sitting on a shelf. I have all the chevy parts in the world (my whole family is chevy) and multiple chevy race motors (mild 383 strokers) yet I'm uncontrollably a Dodge guy. Anyways this is the intake I want to go pick up. It's within my budget as I'm still recovering from buying the 318.

Screenshot_20230524_215556_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230524_215607_Facebook.jpg

Pretty vague question, what manifold and what carb? At the worst, you may need to run an adapter. Your problem will be in the linkage- the Chebby arm isn't set up for the same pull geometry as your Dodge cable and pedal, and the offset of the arm isn't right for the Mopar throttle bracket. You'll probably need to adapt one of the Holley or Edelbrock linkage adapters for Mopars to the GM carb arm. Then you'll have a correctly located position for your throttle/kickdown stud.

Pretty vague question, what manifold and what carb? At the worst, you may need to run an adapter. Your problem will be in the linkage- the Chebby arm isn't set up for the same pull geometry as your Dodge cable and pedal, and the offset of the arm isn't right for the Mopar throttle bracket. You'll probably need to adapt one of the Holley or Edelbrock linkage adapters for Mopars to the GM carb arm. Then you'll have a correctly located position for your throttle/kickdown stud.
Manual, no kick. But very good to know. I didn't even think about the linkage...

Since that is a spread bore carb, and considering a quadrajet was pretty common on chevys and also available on dodges, they should be a good fit. Either carb will work but a "stock" form 318 will probably be happier on the street with the smaller 650 which is plenty of carb. Quadrajets are pretty forgiving and I'm sure your dad can make the 750 work as well with a little extra tuning but for just running around town and having both available I don't think it's worth the trouble. Your set up should look just like @Max119 if you go that route.

I'm not very inclined when it comes to carbs, I can turn the idle up and down, I can unjust the air and fuel mixture until it sounds right... but that's it... my father tho, is very inclined, he can take em apart and peice em back together, rebuild em and if it dont sound right to him he can tell ya exactly what the problem is. I could have asked him but he's asleep and I'm gunho and curious. Anyways I do not know the carb, I just know we have a 650cfm and a 750cfm (both 4 barrels) sitting on a shelf. I have all the chevy parts in the world (my whole family is chevy) and multiple chevy race motors (mild 383 strokers) yet I'm uncontrollably a Dodge guy. Anyways this is the intake I want to go pick up. It's within my budget as I'm still recovering from buying the 318.

View attachment 1716093950

View attachment 1716093953

Yep, that is the Spread Bore intake that works with the Quadrajet carbs.

Quadrajet carbs, the ones with the very large secondary butterflies.

Square bore carbs have approximately the same size butterflies, primaries and the secondaries.

☆☆☆☆☆

Make sure before shelling out some bucks that that intake has been crack checked. A short crack maybe ok, a crack that goes to the plenum floor is a NO.
100_2894.JPG

Since that is a spread bore carb, and considering a quadrajet was pretty common on chevys and also available on dodges, they should be a good fit. Either carb will work but a "stock" form 318 will probably be happier on the street with the smaller 650 which is plenty of carb. Quadrajets are pretty forgiving and I'm sure your dad can make the 750 work as well with a little extra tuning but for just running around town and having both available I don't think it's worth the trouble. Your set up should look just like @Max119 if you go that route.
Appreciate that, good to know. I'll start planning a road trip to go get that soon

View attachment 1716093950

View attachment 1716093953
Depending on the carb, you may need an adaptor. That is a good intake, though

The base plate gaskets between a Thermoquad and Quadrajet are different. They can have a manifold vacuum leak around the back if the right base plate gasket is not used.

^^You have to be careful with all carbs "swaps." I'm talking OEM carbs. "Back in the day" there were differences in such as the heat riser passages setup for different carbs. I once had (I think? a) Ponch AFB on a Chev, and had a hell of a time with a vacuum leak. IT HAD NO idle speed screw like the Chevs used. Instead, it had the "big" screw in between the mixture screws. This made and "intentional vacuum leak" in order to set idle speed, but the head riser passages screwed me up. this big idle are valve worked similar to an EFI idle air control, except manually

There are many other examples of incompatabilities that you must deal with

Also, there are good QJs...& bad ones. Some are difficult to tune because of emission 'updates'.

By the time you buy Cliff Ruggles QJ book to find out the good/bad models, you could have spent the money on a used TQ & save a lot of headache.....

im sure your dad will enjoy fixing you a quadrobomb to set on that intake that run fine! quads are great carbs for mild street builds, very much set them up right once and done! and thay sound great coming in too!! whats rest your plans for your 318??? cam? headers????

My attitude is- go for it as it will fit with some needed work to make it 95%.
If your Dad can figure it out so can you!
He had to start some where…. Now it’s your turn. Keep asking questions and you will be fine.
Good luck and keep posting photos.
Syleng1

-
Back