Chevy starter on my LA360?

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
Today was the first day shaking down my Duster build. I put a mini starter in it from the parts house. I have a 440 source flywheel on this 360 LA. Yeah I put the La weight on it. Anyway, it fires it up nice and fast. Sadly, it sounds like those 80's GM starters. Nice mismeshed sound while starting. It sits very flush up in the bell housing. It retracts the bendix nice as well.... But while cranking it sounds like an 88 Chevy truck... Ugh. So the starter is seated all the way and aligned well. What's causing this? Starter gear too close to the flywheel? Too far away? Resting and looking up through the bottom dust cover it seems the gear is close. Looks like the bendix gear is .020" off the flywheel but it doesn't grind once you let off the starter. Never had this issue with a mini starter. Thanks.

Sounds like it is too close. Loosen mounting bolts and see if u can get a little more gap. Or maybe it is a bad/noisy starter

Loosen and tighten bolts opposite from what you did the first time.
Im going to ask,inspection cover in?

Yeah the inspection cover is off the bellhousing so I can see the bendix/flywheel ring relation. I’ll see if I can losen it and get it away from the ring gear.

The inspection cover also shims starter.i dont think it will work without it.

Don't discount it may simply be a bad starter. Also, do you have the floor sealed up? Having, EG the shift boot off will make sounds "sound like" TERRIBLE

I took a screw driver and pushed the bendix back and it went back a little. Starts normal now. Weird.

Flywheel teeth look perfect. It’s starting good now. All I did was push the gear back to see if it’s retracting all the way. It moved back a little and now starts with no grind every time. Maybe there was something on the bendix. I dunno. Strange.

-
Back